Gaming Prince of Persia

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It's not a case of flashy graphics and no content, not at all. There's some very good content in here. It's a case of 'What do you want from a game?'

If you're short on time or you don't enjoy repeated failures (as I know Bauul doesn't since he used a trained for Warrior Within and got me to complete the Dahaka chases) but you enjoy the sense of freerunning, the story and ideas that the game is offering then this no-dying thing is good.

If not then you can still set yourself a personal challenge if you want (there's an achievement for not needing more than 100 Elika saves for example), but this might not be the game for you. Personally I'm going to buy and replay this for PC, because I like what it offers despite the lack of challenge.

If games were just about punishment and improvement then most people would just stick to Tetris.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

they were back in the good days of gaming, finishing or "clocking" a game was bragging rights in school.

your right, i was a bit harsh and for that i apologise, but for people like myself gaming is an enthusiastic hobby and the majority like to test thier skill by seeing how far they cqan go. it really grings my gears when devs start to treat me like a child, what happened to the good old difficulty level in the options menu?

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

will wait for PC too here...

sands of time was brilliant. the other 2 game is 'meh'... not a bad one per se, but ive been spoiled wildly with sand of time unfortunately.

this one i'll check it out becoz the graphic is just oh so good IMHO...

4. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

what i meant by all flashy graphics and no content is 90% games are made so anyone with an ounce of intelligence can complete them while drunk and have both arms broken.

What do i want from a game?
    fun and challenging, not challenging as in sat there for 5 hours trying to shoot all the birds in GTA, challenging as in using my brain to think thro a puzzle or thinking of different way to blow someones brains out.

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

One. One Dahaka chase, and that was only because I knew I'd get fed up trying and repeatedly failing. And true I did use a trainer from about halfway through the game; if I hadn't I never would have gotten around to completing it.

I guess for me personally I no longer gain pleasure from attempting something over and over again until I get it bang on. Unless the actual doing is so fun I don't mind redoing the same section again (some games do manage this, e.g. Max Payne), I usually just get fustrated. Games stop becomming entertainment and start becoming a chore, and that's when I switch off. With something like Prince of Persia, that by definition has many insta-death moments, a mechanism to avoid endless replays with no added value is vital if you ask me. That's why the time travel mechanism in the SOT trilogy were so awesome, because they were genuinely vital to enjoy the game. The auto-magic save in this seems a little less well developed, but it essentially does the same thing, and I imagine the game would go from slightly-dissapointingly-easy to mind-numbingly-repetetive-and-awful very quickly if it was removed.

6. impar

impar Minimodder

7. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

8. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

10. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

I just finished the game (seemed more appropriate to comment here rather than start a new thread) and I've mixed feelings... It had some magical moments and I thought it played like an interactive movie. With the character development, the conversations between the prince and the princess, reminded me a little of the way the prince and Farah's relationship functioned in POP Sands of Time.

The thing that grated most for me was the combat, sometimes during a fight we would just stop responding, and it seems once your opponent gets a combo going its impossible to stop them, you have to wait for a hit this button prompt to come up before you'll be able to shot in...

But overall a positive experience, much much better than the warrior within, never even bothered with two thrones...

What did anyone else who's played it think?

Tags: Add Tags