Gaming Top Five Most Disappointing Games of 2008

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 30 Dec 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/12/30/top-five-worst-games-of-2008/1

It's facepalm time. After collecting votes from our readers for the best games of 2008, it's time to look back on the year and see which games came out that didn't live up to expectations. Here's our take on the titles that got destroyed by their own hype and how they could have been saved.

:duh:

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The position of Haze shows how much of an impact it made on Free Radical :(

3. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

i dont see farcry 2 in this list whats going on

4. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Only 5 spaces on the list. There were a lot of disappointments this year. I only bought two 2008 games (Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3) and I got bored of both of them very quickly. Neither of them is bad but I just ran out of the will to go on with both of them.

5. SupReme

SupReme Message is over there ->

Is it me, or was GTA IV also in the GotY list? Just doesn't seems right then. It's a game of the year, but also a big dissapointment...

6. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

That just goes to show how bad this year was

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Far Cry 2 is a great game for the first 5 hours and then it just crashes. It really should be on the list as all it needs is a little thought and tweaks to keep people interested.

8. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

It's interesting so see how many of this years most anticipated games are on the list.

I was contemplating writing that I thought that FarCry2 should be on this list, but then realised that I need to stop spamming the forums with my thoughts on that game. However it's interesting to see just how many people share the same opinion on just how poor a game it is.

You guys have done an incredible job this year on Bit-tech, I'm so impressed with how the site has matured and now contains much much more than hardware reviews. Your review are always top notch (except for the FarCry 2..wink, wink, nudge, nudge) and highly entertaining. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what you have in store for your readers in 2009, well done and happy holidays to all.

9. -equilerex-

-equilerex- What's a Dremel?

pretty much like my own list... exept one is missing and its only top2... the 2 games i was hyped up the most for.

gta4 (pc) - worst storyline so far... just a guy doing missions because he needs money... and then a bit about him feeling bad and wanting revenge for someone killing a few ppl... coming from someone who runs over 20 ppl on the way to work and 30 there, its a bit hilarious... (not even going over the power requirements) vice city still remains the best of the series....

Fallout 3... totally ok game as it is but for the orginal series fan, the ending is the most disappointing gaming moment ever... only 3 ending options... bad/good karma, kill everyone/not, sacrifice yourself/not .... what was the point of all those quests?? compared to to FO1/2 where EACH town had atleast 2-3 or up to 7 endings... not to mention the lack of humor....

10. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Game, great (thus goty list)

The way that it runs on your PC, all of the shite that you need to have to get it to run, and the unfinished nature of some areas / textures (how you achieve this on a port across platforms I have no idea) put it squarely on this list too.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

The readers voted for GotY, we compiled this list while compiling the results from the GotY reader poll :)

12. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I think red alert 3 deserves a spot on that list too, yes, I do like it, yes I do play it and surprise surprise, ea is actually patching the issues that plagued it at launch one by one, but they should still be punished for releasing a unfinished product.

13. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Um,

Popo kart?

cs 1.5 and DOTA for all of us here in china.....

a nation of 7300gt.....

14. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

I agree with this list....although I would have made it the Best 5 Games of the Year and the Worst 10 Games of the Year personally. Just my .02

That aside though Haze was a big letdown for me. I was really looking forward to that one.

15. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I never felt so disapointed with a game as I was with Fallout 3. It's as shallow as a spit on the floor. Ridiculous dialog, storyline, graphics, sense of humor, animation and graphic design.

No way to see this game with the same eyes that played previous FO. Please Black Isle/Interplay, COME BACK TO US!!

Now I can see the diference from "For gamers from gamers" (Interplay) to "For stupid gamers from ganancious people" (Bethesda).

Ooo... another disapointment was RA3... Just full of crap..

BTW, the front page phto is a total win! ahuehaeuhuehaeuh :clap:

16. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Have to agree about GTA4.

brought it, then had immense problems with it. the games for windows part isn't too bad, but the rockstar social club was the final straw. not sure if they've fixed it yet, but the game flat out wouldn't start if the social club was signed in (crash to desktop) :eeek:

On top of that, the graphical settings were restrictive, completely prevented me from setting the native res of my LCD because the game decided i didn't have enough video ram. Let me at least try it to see if it works or not :duh:

Anyway, to cut a long story short, i went back to the 360 version :sigh:

On a sidenote, amazes me to see the fallout3 hate in this comment thread :eeek:
    It's one of the best games i've played on the PC this year easily

17. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

call of duty 5.

18. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Why did they need to remake Alone in the Dark? The original Infogrammes version with all it's Lovecraftian horror was pretty spot on... :)

19. Anti-Hero

Anti-Hero What's a Dremel?

Looks like we need some sort of Half-Life 3, since that was the last time a game was literally praised by everyone.
    Just to make up for all the ****-ups of this year!
    Good article though, front page picture = hilarious!

20. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

to be honest spore should have been number 1. Every other "dissapointing games of 08" list I've seen has it at no.1 and with good reason! The amount of hyping, promises, etc only to get 5 downsized segments all similar to other existing games.

Tags: Add Tags