News Nvidia warns of 50 percent revenue dip

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Jan 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

Ouch, a 50 percent drop in revenue can flatline a business.

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Too bleedin' expensive.

I've recently played Far Cry 2, or at least I've played it up to the point where you realise it's shown you all its tricks, which is about the first act's worth. I'm playing it in a way that I'm not enjoying as much as I could, because the graphics are more demanding than my 9800 GT - which I considered fairly high end and expensive three months ago - can deal with very well.

Doing anything about this situation costs more than a PS3. So uhm.

4. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Such seems to be the conundrum we face as PC gamers these days Phil :( It is sad isn't it? I recently upgraded my PC just to play GTA IV.. how sad..

5. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I've been trying to decide and commit to a new graphics card for 18 months now and I've still not managed it so I don't think the current decline has particularly effected me, so much as the sea of grey and the extra problem of both companies suddenly releasing a rush of cards with new mounting holes for cooling (grr don't want to buy a new block!)

6. scarrmrcc

scarrmrcc What's a Dremel?

well, i think part of it, is that they come out with a new card every couple of weeks it seems (i know it longer than that, but i feels like it)

and so many people wanna wait, because the card the car they want will be cheaper soon, or outdated soon.

and the rebate companies have people scared, because they going under, and not supporting rebates somtimes.

7. OnyxLilninja

OnyxLilninja What's a Dremel?

Also remember ATI came out with a very competitive product for the first time in a while. I know a fair few people who have gone back to ATI for the first time in years for their latest cards. Easier to blame the credit crunch than your own products....

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well, when you start to rename 8800GT to 9800GT, and don't have a profit margin for your latest 65nm GPU, revenue is sure to be down.

they made very little for GT200 65nm chips, im no surprised.

9. black force one

black force one What's a Dremel?

finally it's good they "nvdia" go eat a bit eat the grownd cause when they are leader finally they don't do anything for end user
    we are french and we help ati amd for the existence of concurrence in the futur and the next year we sale many many crossfire or crosfire x OF HD 4850 OR HD 4870 with out any saling for nvidia ....NOTHING
    and you know why??
    with only one leader they trust the market and for me i dont like this ****ing commercial attitud NVIDIA IS avery bad company only money

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

they need this though.. wake em up- they've been nothing but master bilkers since the 8800gtx was released.. the 680i and the 8800gtx were awesome for their time but then they sat on it and did nothing afterwards worth mentioning besides go spend their money on suki suki

this new classified board is a step in the right direction.. finally something noone else has again

11. FatMikel

FatMikel Statistically not that fat...

:eyebrow: lolwut

12. Irvine

Irvine What's a Dremel?

lolwut seconded.

Back to topic, I'm not surprised at all. Luxury items like high-end graphics card would be the first thing I'd take off my to-buy list in an economic crisis. Munchie chips over silicon chips for me, please. :D

13. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I just realised I've never actually seen Far Cry 2 on a PS3, so I have no idea if it has the slightly irritating degree of draw distance issues with both shading and geometry that I have to put up with.

The shadows pop up so severely that driving is rather like chasing the edge of a particularly energetic cloud formation.

14. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

My spending actually went up lately, but little of it was for the PC. I bought a 40" LCD TV and a Blu-Ray Player. Add to that buying about a dozen Blu-Ray movies, the economic slump hasnt really affected my spending.

My biggest gripe with the video card industry (as Ive said before) is that they need to have a better model numbering scheme. Stop trying to fool the customer into buying an inferior card just because the model number is higher. For the average consumer, a 9000 series must be better than an 8000 series card because the number is greater.

Stick to a damn numbering scheme where the greater the model number, the better the card. None of this BS with trying to fool the consumers.

15. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Well, you do rather assume...

I find the model numbering system completely mystifying. You end up having to go and look every number up on a website, find out what it means, then try and figure out what an extra 26 shader pipelines will get you. Is GTX better than GT? Argh!

16. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Sorry about resurrecting an old thread, but just read the news bit.

The last card I bought was an Asus 6600GT (in 2006?) because I couldn't afford an 8800 series card. After that the numbering system was so screwed I wasn't sure what I might be buying till the reviews came out. By the time the reviews came out the cards were heading for a slide towards a "new" card. :bronx cheer:

All was well till I smoked the 6600GT a few weeks back and then decided on another Asus, 4870 1 Gb card. Still not sure if I got a decent card, but seems to be okay. The way Nvidia is still playing games with their numbering system I think I will avoid them for a few years. :clap:

Tags: Add Tags