1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Help choosing a CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boomer2020, 15 Mar 2009.

1. Boomer2020

Boomer2020 What's a Dremel?

Na

No I just figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to be able to do it later on down the road once I need to upgrade and the price has come down significantly.

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Personally right now i would pick up a cheapish I7 motherboard, the bottom of the market ones dont support Nvidia's SLI, then just grab a 4870 1GB for the time being, (if i was ordering this week).

Because ATI's 48xx series really suffers from heat issues, and there 58xx series is just around the corner making the purchase of a 4870X2 an unwise purchase.

I Know alot of people think that sitting back and waiting for the next product line is a waste of time, but i laugh at all those who bought Nvidia's 7900GTX just before Nvidia released its then mighty 8800GTX which smashed the graphics card market to pieces.

If anything is to go buy a single ATI 58xx series card with one GPU should perform aswell as the mighty 4870X2.

Whilst owning the I7 board only capable of cross-fire, i would grab a 58xx series asap and cross fire it with the 4870, thats the wonderful thing about ATI's crossfire tech.

It also means you dont get screwed too badly either as neither SLI or crossfire offer twice the performance of a single card.

Just my 2 cents, because lets face it times are hard, and just because you have $1400 to drop on computer dosen't mean you need too, esspecially when you look at the performance gained against vs cost. It soon seems silly!

Its like spending extra on Intels 965 CPU instead of buying the 920, we all know which one is the best buy!

3. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

"Whilst owning the I7 board only capable of cross-fire, i would grab a 58xx series asap and cross fire it with the 4870, thats the wonderful thing about ATI's crossfire tech."

I though you could only crossfirex cards of the same series, IRC the 3870 and 4870 will not cf according to ATI. If the RV800 series does CF with the 4870 it would be teh awesome!

Last edited: 17 Mar 2009
  4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Hmmm i seemed to have made a mistake there, whoops

5. McGrego

McGrego What's a Dremel?

if you want a high end rig you could try foxconn bloodrage or asus rampage ii , and about graphics two 4870 1gb on crossfire should do the trick