Scratch Build – In Progress CoolIT PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sonnenschein, 23 Mar 2009.

1. Sonnenschein

Sonnenschein What's a Dremel?

Hello,
    after the BS-Baumstamm and the Sinuskurve I wanted present you my latest project „CoolIT PC“. And before I begin with the project log of this case I wanted to apologize that I give you a complete project log and not several updates during the time I build the PC. The reason for this is, that the case had to be ready till the start of the CeBIT, and the time wasn´t really long, so I hadn´t a lot of time to write a project log.
    I hope you accept the apology and I undertake to make a “real” worklog when I´ll start with my next project!

And now it´s time to start with the worklog. Aim of this PC was to build a PC with a coolingsystem of CoolIT systems. The Case should be a big eye catcher at the CeBIT and should show the visitors at the first view how good the cooling system of CoolIT work.
    With this end in mind I made some sketches how the case should look like at the end.
    [​IMG]
    I know this sketches are more than bad, because at this time I couldn´t control any CAD-program. But in the first semester of study (product design @ Bauhaus University Weimar) I learned something about controlling a CAD-program. So the “sketches” of my next project will be even better than this.

Ready with the sketches and a plan I started to build the “inner case”. To this I bought at first 5 pieces of MDF on which I marked all parts that had to be cut out
    [​IMG]
    And so looked the case after I cut out something and compilated it
    [​IMG]

Well but when I got the Boreas MTEC Chiller from CoolIt systems I had to rework my plan because of the size of it, how you could see at the following pic
    [​IMG]

After that rework I built at first the reservoir for the cooling circulation made of Plexiglas
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    In the front of the reservoir came icicles (made of Plexiglas, too) that you could see how cool the water in the reservoir is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And with a blind made of MDF it looks so
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ready with this I started with the thing (I don´t know the name of it) in which I put in the mainboard blind and screw the PCI-Cards in tight. At first I try to build it with aluminum, but during I bend it the aluminum breached
    [​IMG]

So I decided to build it with Plexiglas, I know it takes longer, but it could breach…;-) At first I cut all the plates into shape
    [​IMG]
    After that I conglutinated and screw it together
    [​IMG]
    By doing this, the next part was ready.

Next was a shiny “ice floe” which is the socket for the pump. For this I made at first a 5mm Plexiplate in which I put some blue LEDs
    [​IMG]
    This plate I inserted in the bottom of the inner case
    [​IMG]
    And so looked it in the end
    [​IMG]

Up next I pottered at the 15 fans in the back of the case. The “problem” was that a fans should be adjustable (5V and 12V). But when I let the fans run at 5V the LEDs would shine. So I had to solder the LEDs to an separate electric circuit that didn´t overlap with the circuit of the fans. At the following picture you see at the left side the original fan and at the ride side the fan after my “solder work”
    [​IMG]
    This isn´t really time-consuming, if you had only one fans, but if you have 15 fans lasts…;-) Well after I separated the circuits I soldered all 15 fans, and 60 LEDs together and screwed it on a plate made of Plexiglas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And so looked the case before I pained it
    [​IMG]

During the color dried I build a little case for the MTEC Control Center and on HDD, expectedly made of Plexiglas
    [​IMG]

Although nobody see it in the end I lacquered it despite with a kind of water drop visual effect
    [​IMG]

How it looked after the install of the MTEC Control Center could you see at the following picture
    [​IMG]

Also I modded a little bit the pump with a shiny CoolIT symbol and put a glowstick made of Plexiglas and 8 superflux LEDs into the Boreas Chiller.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, all these several things together pattern the “inner case” of the CoolIT PC. And how it looked in addition see you at the next two pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now we´ll come to the “outer case”. It started how the “inner case” with some plates made of MDF (only a little bit bigger). To mark the things I had to cut out better I screw it together
    [​IMG]

After I cut out the holes for the CoolIT systems logos and the window I built the elements for the illumination of these.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next pictures show you how the case looked with these elements, and the “icy-frame” for the window
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I cut out the hole for the LCD in the front. How the big window, the LCD got also a “icy-frame”
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After I was ready with all the holes I glued some MDF remains of the case which I trowel filled at the end. Why I did this – well I thing so it looks more irregular and therefore more like nature.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    …and yes, I had the same doubting look how you after I was ready with this work step. But this was the point of no return.

The relaxation came fortunately with a color…
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately I interfere with the time, and so I forgot to make some pictures of the electronics in the “outer-case”…:-:)-:)-(

But for all how had read this project log which is written in really bad “English” is here the reward
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Concluding I wanted to say that this mod (#6) would be my last mod. And I have already some new plans (CAD) for a new PC at my PC. The only problem is that I gradually haven´t now money but a lot of passion for a new PC. So if somebody wanted a unique PC from me or want to sponsor my new project …please send me a mail, before I incinerate in my passion!!!

Best Reagrds from Germany Dominic Heiße

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

I love the outcome, I don't quite understand why you need so many fans (or is it just OTT for the sake of OTT?)
    The acrylic work, custom res, and the texture of the case looks awesome :)

3. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

looks great... only thing i dont like is the PCIe power connectors. They look sloppy cause of the heatshrink being far from the molex IMO. great case. like bigsharn, why so many fans?
    other than that, great build.

ps - i know that DFI lanparty is UV reactive. Might want to try a UV CCFL. I think it would go with the case lighting

4. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

That fan setup is amazing, must be loud as hell!

5. Tungil90

Tungil90 What's a Dremel?

saubere arbeit, respekt!

and for the rest:

one question:
    how are the cooling-cycles? is the reservoir fot the coolIT device?

i always wanted to get a really awesome modded pc, but don't have any technically,handicraftsmen-skills, so i was wondering if i could ask someone of the guys at this forum to build one for me, and now you even asked fot it !

//if// WHEN i will win in lotto, you will receive a pn ;)

6. Sonnenschein

At first a big THANK YOU for your compliments!!!

@bigsharn: Well in the case is a really great radiator from CoolIT systems. This isn´t such a normal radiator, because the radiator works with peltier elements. So the radiator cools the systems very good if it has enough air. Maybe 4 or 6 120mm were adequate, but in my opinion the 15 fans match better to the design of the case, than 10 80mm or 5 120mm.

@null_x86: The thing with the PCIe power connectors, I agree with you to 100%. And this was a mistake a made from which I learn for the future. In future I´ll sleeve each cable alone.
    Well the thing with the mainboard. I had to use exactly this thing although a mainboard with blue and white connectors had matched better to the design. And I think that I wouldn´t look better when the connectors shine, because I would be too colourful

@stu: No@5V the systems is very quite

@Tungil90: The water flows from the reservoir to the pump, from the pump to the GPU and CPU cooler. Then to the Boreas Chiller (the radiator) and at least to the reservoir back.
    And I´ll keep my fingers crossed that you win in lotto!!!

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Ha:) I actually felt cold looking on this huge ice rock:) Very nice, I hope you control the speed of all those fans, cause cannot imagine running them all on full speed, unless you wanted to also create a sound effect of Arctic wind:D
    Another idea - how about using white tubing? it would look great in uv light... those ones which change color to bright blue with uv light on...

8. starbee

starbee BRNO 4ever

nice man,very nice...i like a white and blue,that's a good combination

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I saw this case in Thechosen's CeBit pictures. I didn't know you made it.:thumb:
    It's cool.:hehe:

10. Spoooon

Spoooon What's a Dremel?

Wow...Looks really cool! (pun intended) :D
    What filler did you use to sculpture the case?

11. Jelle46

Jelle46 Belgium

Man, that's a great case! I think those fans are really overkill, but it looks sleek :)

12. Valdisnei

Valdisnei Can i haz a dremelz!?

Hmm! Nice job with the acrylic and its ilumination =D

13. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Saw this one out at CeBIT and got to say it looked great in real life :thumb:

[​IMG]

14. Degenerate83

Degenerate83 What's a Dremel?

See now thats a build!!! a proper head turner!!! love it. did say on coolmeisters thread when he posted that pic it was a cool looking build and what a surprise when we get a work log 2! awsome stuff man really is!:thumb:

15. Nooby4Ever

Nooby4Ever 2 left hands

Looks awsome ! Realy simple disgn but so nice... (but personally i wouldn't put so many fan at the back)

16. Sonnenschein

Sorry for my late post but, because of all my new mod ideas I forgot it…;-)

@phinix: The idea with the white tubing is really great, and if I´ll build this mod again I would use it, but for this mod it´s too late…;-)

@starbee/Cheapskate/Valdisnei/Degenerate83/Nooby4Ever: THANK YOU…;-)

@Spoooon: To get such a abrasive surface I used wall paint with grains of sand in it.

@Jelle46: A case could never get enough fresh air..;-)

@coolmiester: Thank you for taking a picture of my case!!!

Well I had two more cases which I build before the CoolIT PC. And because I only need one week per case in my opinion it was pointless to make a project log, but if you like my work and are interested in some more cases from me you have only to say anything.

17. youeffsee

youeffsee What's a Dremel?

Hey Dominic

I just seen this build in person for the 1st time yesterday. I was so happy when I learnt that Barry bought it. I knew I would see it someday.

I tell ya bud, I went over that thing for over a half hr (inside and out) and I am more amazed than I thought possible.

Your builds are what got me into doing my own scratch builds so I feel honored that I was able actually get my hands on this.

All you builders know that our logs just dont do these builds justice. You really need to see our work in person and this build is the finest example of that. The detail is amazing. The texture used is sooo cool in person. It really looks like something you would find high ontop of a mountain. Like a little piece of glacier. :clap: Might be as heavy as a glacier too.:hehe:

The res is the wildest res Ive ever seen. You couldnt have done any better job making it look icy cold inside. It gives ya chills if you stare at it long enough. :brrr: :p

Amazing in every way man. You have some serious skill. I wanted to knit pick at it but theres nothing.

If any of you guys are ever in Calgary, Alberta, Canada you need to stop by CoolIt Systems and see this build in person. The guys @ CoolIt are great people and have 1 heck of a cool shop. Its 1 trip you wont forget. :thumb:

I look forward to seeing The Golden Sail finished and wish Im so lucky I get to see that in person too.

18. ToB1

ToB1 What's a Dremel?

Nice build, Sonnenschein! :thumb: