1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iPod touch slightly loose screen...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lamboman, 2 Apr 2009.

1. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

Just went to the Apple Store yesterday and picked up a replacement iPod touch 2G. The screen, along the left side, centre, is slightly loose. I have heard issues with it clicking, making a noise when pushed hard, etc. However, mine doesn't make any noise, the movement is minimal, and it doesn't really effect usage. Just out of interest, is anybody else's iTouch similar?

2. badgerz

badgerz What's a Dremel?

3. lamboman

Doesn't really matter anyway, as the headphone jack has just died. So, second replacement in a week...wow, these are proving reliable...really, not a recommended buy. I have a 1st gen iPod that still works fine. Apple build quality is really going down the ****hole.

4. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

my ipod touch is great never had any problems at all

5. bigspin

bigspin What's a Dremel?

yep...no problems so far. :D

Might be your bad luck :rolleyes:

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Make sure that you get a new one, not a reconditioned one. Faulty units get returned and when casual inspection by the Returns Dept. reveals no obvious fault, they are re-issued as replacements for other returned faulty units. Eventually Returns Dept. has a stockpile of units that have no apparent flaw but are not fully functional units either, and they keep being re-issued to the next customer.

Palm Computing had a little saga like that with the Palm IIIc, the initial production batch of which developed greater handwriting recognition problems the more that the screen backlight was turned up. When these units were returned, the Returns Dept. would reset the unit to factory default as part of testing and inspection, which of course turned the screen backlight down to its default of 50% so that the handwriting problems were hardly noticeable. The units were then cleared for re-issue as fully functional.

I returned mine for a cracked casing (another initial batch had been cast in plastic that had been wrongly mixed and was too brittle) and got one of these handwriting fubared units. I then had to teach the Returns Dept. technician like idiots to turn the screen up to full brightness before testing the units. Eventually they just issued me with a brand new model because all their stockpiled units turned out to have this fault. :blush:

7. lamboman

Yep, I know all too well. However, I was stupid enough to not bother checking the thing before I left the store.

Maybe I'm unlucky. The fact is though, I have a first gen which works perfectly (obviously, dead battery, but it's fine otherwise). Three iPods, including the original, in the space of a week is just crazy.

8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

my first Zune had the audio jack break. the second didn't work out of the box. Have had the third for a long time now. sometimes you just get a bad run. Odds are against it but it does happen.

9. lamboman

Hi guys, a very quick update...

So, I got it replaced. The new one has what appears to be a chip or some dust on the inner part of the display. This means that there is a dot there that is, when display grey or lighter, very, very noticeable. Apple build quality great eh? My arse...they claimed that every replacement is made from old internals, and goes through the same checks as the new ones. Are the testers deaf, blind, and limbless or something? Because this is seriously taking the piss, and it isn't a run of bad luck at this point.

Thanks for the input anyway :)