Modding 8" LCD touch screen, need help please.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Region, 5 Apr 2009.

1. Region

Region Obsessed with sound.

So basically i have been scouring the net looking for roughly and 8" LCD touch screen that i can connect to my computer (VGA) for my scratch build, the only things i can find are car touch screens and "do it yourself kits" which isn't really what i am looking for.
    Does anyone know where i can find a small LCD touch screen that can be shipped to Australia for around 180 in total?
    I don't need a whole unit since i would dismantle it and only use the screen itself, so even a replacement screen would suit.

Thanks heaps in advance.
    region.

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

have you looked down the old PSOne LCD route, its only 5" though? i'll find the thread in a sec. Sure there are still some of these kicking about.

it's here

3. Region

Region Obsessed with sound.

Yeah i had a look into it a while ago, but i realy need a touch screen. :(

4. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

i'm nearly in the same boat, i'm just looking into it at the moment, looked at lilliput car screens, psone screens but can't decide.

Would there be something kind of shop till related? EPOS or similar?

Or

I have seen touch screen overlays (if thats the correct term) you get a tft so big and then get a touch screen kit which transforms it, something like that be any good?

5. pksjaveed

pksjaveed Nmodz: modding the world

6. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I used an 8" touchscreen LCD in my Pico Bayard project. It is made by EarthLCD in the US but is expensive because of the touchscreen feature.

It uses a VGA connector but also requires a USB connector for the touchscreen "glass". The software requires Windows. The whole thing is powered with 12V that I spliced off the computer's PSU.

Bottom line...VGA is expensive and touchscreen is way, way expensive. Good luck hunting mate. :thumb:

7. ychamp

ychamp What's a Dremel?

I got a touch screen a while ago for a new computer and it cost around 180$ for a 7" touch screen (from ebay). Here's a link to the same product

link