1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Two recent shots

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by OleJ, 24 May 2009.

1. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Birdfight
    [​IMG]

Summer Thistles
    [​IMG]

:)

2. Vers

Vers ...

I hope I'm not being too blunt but both are underexposed :( The first shot of the coots is a tough one because of harsh back lighting--not sure if a silhouette look was what you were going for but in this case I don't think it works all too well. As for the thistle I think the shot had potential. Apart from the underexposure I think you could have done a better job composition wise--for instance how the main thistle (foremost) laps the clouds in the backdrop, the position of the two takes away from the image IMO. For a shot like this I'm left wanting a sunset or some back/rim lighting to give a little pop to the plants and grass.

3. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Not blunt at all. Thank you for taking your time to comment.

The shot of the coots was mostly because I found it interesting. I've never seen birds fight in the water before.

The thistle (and the birds) are indeed underexposed. I think I have a taste for it somehow as I underexposed it further in PP. I also messed up some other settings.
    Anyways I went back there tonight. Only just made it to the last minutes of the sun setting but I'm very happy with the results :)

I also got a few other sunset shots that I think turned out pretty good :)

:::
    [​IMG]

:::
    Ghetto Sunset

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 25 May 2009
  4. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Oh and this was the sky outside my window the other evening. Dire looking eh!
    [​IMG]

5. Koolpc

Koolpc Minimodder

Were they taken with a mobile phone?

6. OleJ

OleJ Me!

No... Why would you think that?

7. Koolpc

Koolpc Minimodder

They don't look very good?

8. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I have to disagree with you.

9. Koolpc

Koolpc Minimodder

Ok, if it wasn't a mobile phone was it one of those throw away cameras?

10. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

Umm... how do I say this nicely...

Your comments aren't particularly helpful, and you're bordering on just being a jerk. On the other hand, I would also like to know what camera you are using, as it looks like you're getting some vignetting on the sunset shots, unless of course you are adding it in post.

11. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Out of a question of interest is the thistle shot a crop? I much prefer the colours of the more orangy one on your flickr (summer thistle 5). I'm a little confused though as that shot and the thistle one here look the same crop but are shot at very different focal lengths?

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I was wondering about that also. Was it taken with the Sigma 17-70 or the Canon 10-22? Because I have the 17-70 and hadn't noticed any significant vignetting like that yet, even at 17mm.

Anyway, I have to agree the second set of shots are much better than the first.

13. OleJ

OleJ Me!

The new crop of thistle shots were shot with the Canon 70-300 and the Sigma 17-70.

Those showing vignetting were shot with the Sigma and it's the first time I've ever seen vignetting from it as well.

I cropped one of the thistle shots but IIRC the one above was shot with the Sigma.

:Edit: A bit confused. The one above was shot with the Sigma. Not the Canon. Now corrected :)

Last edited: 26 May 2009
  14. CraZy

CraZy Cöstom úser tætel

The sunset shots are great :)

15. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Thank you mate :)

16. Koolpc

Koolpc Minimodder

So, i can't comment if i think the shots are not very good? Just think they look poor.

17. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

You certainly can, it's your right to do so. But essentially saying "I don't like how these look, so your equipment must be absolute shite" is a bit much IMHO.

18. Koolpc

Koolpc Minimodder

Well, i think they could be better. Especially if you have the equipment.

19. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

So, I assume you have something better?

It's very quick and easy to be judgemental and say that you don't like something, but it isn't helpful at all. If you don't like something, then say what you don't like and add some constructive criticism for the OP to take on board so that he can perhaps do things better next time. It's not very nice to have your work criticised without even giving a reason for it.

However, on a more fundamental level, you also seem to have a misguided view that better equipment automatically means better pictures. This is not true. Photography is a form of art as much as anything else. Does having better paint brushes mean better paintings? Not really. OK, that was a crude analogy but you can see what I'm getting at.

A better camera will mean the pictures you produce are technically superior, but that doesn't make them 'better' by any stretch of the imagination. A thoughtful and well composed shot from a P&S camera will always be better than any old random shot from a £3000 DSLR. It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it that matters - the person behind the camera is by far the most important element in any camera system. Better equipment only expands your creative opportunities and helps your pictures be truer to your original vision.

So, I come back to my first statement - let's see your photos! Even if you only have a P&S, you can still take some good pictures, so if you can see how a particular shot could be made better - show us yourself!

20. Koolpc

Koolpc Minimodder

The composition could have been better for a start. Just the shots seem bland. Uninteresting. They make me want to go through them quickly. Nothing catches my eye and makes me want to say waw!

The clouds one is just grey! A mass of grey! Nothing interesting there. None of them are worth printing!

They need to be more eye catching / interesting. To me, they look like a thousand pics i have seen before.

I have had some of my pics published a few years ago when i was interested in photography. So i have had some knowledge of photography, be it in a novice way!

I'll try and dig out one of the ones that was published.

I am not saying i am a better photographer or i could take better pics. Its only my opinion!!