Guide Adventures in Powder Coating….

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GuyInTulsa, 17 Jun 2009.

1. GuyInTulsa

GuyInTulsa Dremel Molester

I’ve wanted to try my hand at Powder Coating for a while now. (Plus I didn’t want E.E.L. to have all the fun :D)

I started doing web research a few months ago and decided the process was pretty simple. All I needed was a powder coating system (air brush and electric particle charger), some powder, air compressor, a curing oven and of course the typical safety equipment. I already had an air compressor, a garage “toaster oven” to cure epoxies, etc, plus a decent respirator and latex gloves.

What I really needed was an affordable powder coating system. Web research led me to Eastwood. They offer a few kits along with a variety of powders. More forum reading confirmed my belief this was doable on a hobby scale.

I almost pulled the trigger (lol) and ordered the Eastwood system when I remember the local Harbor Freight & Tools. Sure enough they had a very inexpensive “system” along with a very small offering of powders.

Here is a link to what I bought: Powder Coating System plus a pound of matte black powder.

I plan on testing on some old computer slot brackets to see how things go. I’ll post pictures along with my progress as I have time.

2. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Nice, i wonder if i can find that kind of powdercoat kit here, btw, how do you make a toaster oven for epoxy?

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

My only suggestion is something E.E.L. and I discussed a hundred years ago it seems. Do not trust the markings on the temperature knob. Get a baking and/or candy thermometer and test the knob settings. 300 degrees on the knob might be higher or lower in real life measurements. Slap a piece of tape on the knob and remark it if needed. If the directions call for 225 degrees just make sure you give it a consistent 225 degrees.

A small thing, but if you are doing 'runs' of parts because they won't all fit at once they will be more consistent.

john

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I looked at buying a gun, but after furthur investigation, I found a local shop that would do bulk lots in any colour for about £30, so it wasn't worth it.

5. GuyInTulsa

Maybe a misunderstanding… I sometimes use 2 part epoxy based paint. I put the painted items in the toaster oven to speed the hardening process.

Thanks for the advice John. I’ve got one I can use. I hope to do a few test pieces today.

I’m kind of a do-it-yourselfer. Learning how to do it is one of my interests.

6. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

ah ok, my bad. i see what you mean now. cool

7. GuyInTulsa

I know it’s been over a week and I don’t have anything to show yet!

The weather here is being uncooperative. Too hot and humid. Hopefully things will cool off soon…

I’ve opened the kit and it looks pretty complete. I also took Johns advice and got a thermometer for my oven. So, I’m prepped, educated and ready to ruin something!

Last edited: 27 Jun 2009
  8. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

Hey guyintulsa. Ironically enough, I bought the same powdercoating system and haven't opened it since I bought it 6 months ago. Consider completing this motivation to another!