Other nutrition and stuff

Discussion in 'General' started by chrisb2e9, 2 Jul 2009.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

On the advice of a friend a while back I started taking omega 3 pills. But not ones from Walmart or somewhere like that either. I went to a health store and bought good quality ones.
    And yes there is a difference in quality depending on what brand you buy.
    The guy who owns the store I went to has been running it for 8 years now. He talked for 30 minutes straight on the differences of cheap and expensive brands. And not just a sales pitch to get me to spend more. It was like reading from a medical text book. But one that talks to you.
    So in addition to the omega 3 I decided to try and supplement my diet with vitamins and minerals. Again, health store, high quality product. What a difference it's made, I feel better, look better, my skin actually nice. Not dry and rough like it usually is.

So I was just wondering, does anyone else in here supplement their diet with things like vitamins, minerals, etc.
    If so did you notice a difference?
    If not, why not?

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I take potassium when my weight drops below 125 so my heart won't deregulate.

Bout it, though I try and hit B-12 in the morning if I'm gonna be going all day. Have to get a big breakfast to make it work right, though.

3. dom_

dom_ --->

I just eat lots of fish, meat and offal with lots of vegtables and fruit. Stops me buying expensive supplements. I do take a bit of fish oil if i havn't eaten much fish in a while but that is it now.

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I don't have a whole lot of immune system left working so I have a serious augmentation going on. I do B vitamin complexes, lots of D, E, and Potassium for my heart too.

My nutritionist put me on a body mass weight gain supplement that has lots of calories but also has large doses of vitamins and mineral supplements.

The potassium is the hardest to keep up for me.

john

5. Ransoman

Ransoman What's a Dremel?

I take vitamin c suppliments when i have a cold, usually helps me get better a day sooner (may not sound like much, but i hate colds).

6. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i dose up on wellman in the morning, usually, along with echinacea when i'm feeling a little under the weather.

but yeah generally i just subscribe to not eating like a lardmo. frozen/ready meals are generally off-limits for me and for a geek/nerd i am actually a pretty good cook :rock:

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I don't currently take any supplements, but I have made a few changes to my diet and lifestyle in the past 6 months which were having a positive effect but now seem to be backfiring on me. The most major was kicking caffiene.

At the start of Feb this year I stopped consuming caffiene entirely. Before that, for about a year, I would have drank around 3 cups of coffee per day, as well as some Relentless or Jolt cola whilst gaming. I had even gotten into a bad habit of taking ProPlus caffiene tablets any time I was working more than 12 hours a day. Quitting all that seemed to help a lot. I have never had any trouble sleeping but I did seem to get more energy from less sleep for a while. Since the start of Feb I haven't drank tea, coffee or any form of energy drink and have not taken any caffiene tablets. Instea of tea or coffee I drink green tea with lemon.

Recently though, I have started feeling constantly exhausted again (this was the reason I started taking caffiene rich products in the first place) and find that after around 10 hours of being active I am shattered and need to sleep. This is in contrast with shortly after I stopped caffiene and was getting the same amount of sleep and worked more than 12 hours Mon-Fri and worked as many as 15 hours every Saturday.

I generally eat healthily, but I have been told by several people who have suffered the same symptoms as me that I am either lacking or missing some vital vitimans or minerals in my diet, and that I should see a professional about what supplements to take.

Three years ago I was able to work between 80 and 90 hours in any 7 days (Mon-Sun) and not really feel the effects of it (I did this for just over 6 months when I was 19, with 2 part time jobs and being self employed as well). Now I struggle to cope with 60-70 hours per week and honestly most of the work isn't even as physical as the work I was doing back then. I think I'm definately lacking something but I have no idea what it is.

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

"youth". as you get older you can do less stuff. yes it starts happening past 20.

also: green tea does contain caffeine. probably explains why you didn't suffer any withdrawal symptoms - that's a LOT of caffeine to go straight into cold turkey from.

9. lex90

lex90 Minimodder

Care to explain the difference?

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Definately no caffeine in the green tea I am drinking mate, I can't remember the name of it just now but that was one of the things that I checked before starting to buy the brand that I use, because I was told some of them contain it. I managed pretty well I have to say. Coffee breaks between lectures were the hardest, and so were meetings or even house calls where coffee would have been regularly offered and I would have had a cup. I can't say that I don't miss coffee but I'm better off without it. That much caffeine can't be good for the strawberry tart ;)

11. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

A minimum of 2 bananas (my favourite fruit) a day gives me my potassium hit, 2 protein shakes daily contain well over my B1, B2, B6 and B12 RDA's aswell as calcium from the milk. I virtually always eat 3-4 pieces of assorted fruit throughout the day aswell (I try and make sure they're all different colours) and theres always some veg in the main meal..... I dont take any vitamin pills or capsules though, the protein shake is about as artificial as it comes for me.

I really stepped up my diet and nutrition 3-4 months ago when I started training for the RAF and it really does make you feel better. I haven't had a drop of alcohol since I started either and been making sure I drink at least 2 litres of water a day. All in all it's a stark contrast from last year when I was beering it up every weekend and living the week off takeaways and microwave meals. :S