£1500

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 6262, 22 Nov 2002.

1. 6262

6262 What's a Dremel?

hi all,

i want to help in finding what i can get for £1500. As i want a P4 base unit. But which Ram do i get, What P4 and what mobo, and the like.

Thanx for the help,

.: 6262 :.

2. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

It would help if people new what you wanted for the money.

IE, do you just want to get new mobo cpu memory and graphics card, or do you want a whole new system.

By next summer, the P4 to have will be the Preston core (essentially P5), if it is out, or one of the 800MHz FSB P4. You should couple this with a Canterwood based motherboard offering Dual Channel DDR400.

If you can hold out till then, I would.

If not, make sure, you get components that can easily be upgraded to this spec.

For example, buy DDR400 or faster, then if you upgrade to a canterwood board, you will not need to buy more memory.

Is the 256MB of DDR 333 you have in one stick or 2.

If it's two, then it will work on one of the new granite bay P4 boards. Workstation version of the springdale/canterwood.

many companies are releasing these as desktop boards though.

As for the cpu, the 3.06GHz with Hyperthreading is very fast, but is £500-600 depending on where you get it from.

As I said, though, let us know, exactly what you are after, whether or not you HAVE to get it right now, whether you will be prepared to upgrade in the near future or just want the best you can get right now and will be satisfied with that.

To be honest, now is probably not the best time to be buying a new PC. The Spec of your current PC looks fine, and Q2 2003 is gonna be big.

The AMD CLAWHAMMER should be out around then, and that's what I'm saving my money for!

3. Jaz

Jaz Banned

i found a pc locally dual amd athlon MP 2000+ 1gb mem, 100gig HD for £1599

4. 6262

6262 What's a Dremel?

right, there is 3 things for my £1500,

1) A Pure overclocking machine, which is capable of high Branchmark scores.

2) A new machine, the one below, i will keep and NOT upgrade, as i want them both to be networked.

3) A Pure games (Ass kicking) Machine, that will run games at full detail and res (or near enough) soo well, it would be unbelievable.

thanx for Any help,

.: 6262 :.

P.S, im thinking of getting it after XMAS !

Last edited: 22 Nov 2002
  5. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

AS I've said to most people (everyone seems to want a new system now).

HOLD OUT AS LONG AS YOU CAN!!!!

There is new technology appearing soon which is going to offer substantial performance advantages.

If you bought a new PC now, it would become, relatively obsolete very quickly!!

Read the other threads where people are asking about new systems, aswell as the AMD vs Intel thread. Lots of useful info.

Hope this helps

8-ball