TVs What HDTV should i buy? 800-1000 quid range

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Valo, 24 Jul 2009.

1. Zippededo

Zippededo What's a Dremel?

See it depends if your goin for a 32" you wud be able to get a LED TV i think it will be just over 1000 only just tho. If you want 40" its about 1300 so if you want 40" then you wud have to get LCD ... Ive just bought the 40" LED Samsung and its amazing so id recommend seriously considering gettin tht 32" LED TV.

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Just to reiterate: There's no such thing as an LED tv. Whatever Samsung likes to call it, it's still a run-of-the-mill LCD tv, albeit with an LED backlight, which works a bit better than a common CCFL backlight.

3. Valo

Valo Minimodder

yeah, i guess that is what everyone has in mind :)

currently i set my sights on white bravias, seen them in shop and they seem pretty okay, they have PS3-like interface, which means that my family will be able to use it when Im away for the uni and they fit within the budget

will check out the pana-plasmas though

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

If you want your family to be able to easily use your kit, buy a Logitech Harmony remote. Doesn't have to be a fancy one, they all have the same awesomeness inside that (literally) lets you push one button and sets all the gear up automatically. It even has a 'help' button for when something goes wrong (usually because it wasn't pointed at the telly for the whole setup procedure), and it asks simple 'yes/no' questions to fix things. Put it this way, my 'watch TV' procedure before I got my Harmony was this:

use TV remote to turn TV on
    use cable remote to turn cable box on
    use amp remote to turn amp on.
    use amp remote to turn amp to 'cable'
    press 'input' on TV remote

That used 3 remotes, and i still needed two remotes to change channel and adjust volume. Didn't bother me too much, but my mum or sister every time they came to visit would mess it up, forget the right button, or hit 'input' too many times and not know what to do, necessitating a call to me. Now, I just press 'watch TV', and it magics everything to the right inputs. It also automatically reprograms all the buttons on it to relevant functions, so volume controls my amp, but channel controls and numbers go to my cable box. Took me 30 seconds to explain the 'help' function to my mum and sister, and they have never called me asking for help since :). I even made a custom screen on mine showing some of my nephews children's channels with logos so that his mum doesn't have to remember the channel numbers!

Best AV buy in my kit, TBH.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2009
  5. Valo

Valo Minimodder

I looked at all your suggestions, talked to my fam and decided to get a bravia after all, I'll just shop around and measure the room once more and decide which one to get

mostly because of xmb interface and the fact that they seemd way more user friendly than any other tvs

thanks for help