News Dell teases ultra-slim Air-alike

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Sep 2009.

1. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

hmm thinner, more useful, and I bet for about half the price of the Air, yup now thats a possible winner

2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Even a USB port would ruin that outline >.>

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I had the opportunity to handle a Dell Adamo at a mall recently and I was thoroughly unimpressed. It creaks, hardly any of the joins are flush, the screen is horrendous, it runs VISTA, of all things...

I do hope they get something right on their second go-around.

4. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Uhmm... this will be more like "seriously costly", read: 4x Dell XPS Studio 16 price...

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Reviews where impressed by the Adamo (except the price... it was not worth the money).
    I think the Adamo you touch was like these Demo Desk that you see on floors at staple, where they all fall apart they got so much abused and hit, especially the nice ones. Not to mention that it probably got some manufacture errors. I already open Apple computer and had the screen separated from the base the laptop, scratch screens, and a broken USB port (moving at the inside). Usually the broken Demo computers gets replaced.. but I guess the store you were in were too cheap and lazy to send it back to Dell (the store doesn't pay the replacement of the system, Dell does).

6. leslie

leslie Just me!

Well, it's too thin for a conventional drive. I'm betting mini pci-e based SSD. At which point the drive is so slow, there is little use for a very high end CPU. Yes, it could still have ethernet, either a pop-out connector (remember the old 3com pcmcia cards with it?) or a *gasp* dongle (neither is a good design, meaning they will surely use it).

Honestly, at this thickness, you can't have anything but a minimalist design. You cannot stack usb ports, even a vga port would be to large (HDMI? but would it have the processing power?). This is so thin that unless the mobo is very small or it has a large screen you have no room to attach anything around the edges.

Edit:
    Just saw some pictures of this..
    All I can say is, impressive, but some of the claims seem awfully hard to believe. Particularly battery life, which is always over rated, but in this case t seems almost a joke.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2009
  7. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

I never saw the attraction of the Air and I'll say the same for this one from Dell. Horses for courses, but this ain't comin' on my course.

8. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

9.9mm? I'll bet on a warm day it swells to over a CENTI meter! ;)

Tags: Add Tags