Modding extending 24pin (PSU) (by cutting and splicing)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by error404, 11 Oct 2009.

1. error404

error404 What's a Dremel?

I have a 24 pin extender that came with my tj07.

I want a clean look, so instead of just connecting it to my corsair 1000w, I was planning to reuse the cables/ pin connectors from the extender by splicing them and solder them to the end of the corsair 24pin. Then sleeve them all. ((((( I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself right)))

Is there any reason why I shouldn't' do it??

is my question clear enough??

Last edited: 11 Oct 2009
  2. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Nope, just connect the right colours to each other or you could fry your PSU.

Well, there is just one reason.
    Reuseability: you can reuse the cable in a next build so you dont have to sleeve your PSU again. :p

3. error404

another question...

I bought some female pins and 18awg wire to replace the 6 pin / PCI-E cables that were too short. Then I found out that the 18awg wire was a solid instead of stranded... should I still use it or find 18 awg stranded wire?

4. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Well, i only use solid cable because its much easier to solder. Because PCI-E power cables require much power draw and i only use it for fan cables i dont know.

I think its better to use stranded wire, because chances of cable breach (dont know the correct word because im from holland) are much lower.

5. error404

Thanks for the response... I found some 18 awg stranded wire and the operation was a success! I was able to extend the two PCI-E cables enough to reach comfortably the video card.

As a matter of fact, I'm typing using the very same computer :D

I haven't done the 24 pin yet, because I don't have the sleeving kit yet... I might leave it alone as the cables reach (although a little too tight)

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

You don't really need sleeving. Getting a bit of heatshrink for each individual wire works well to cover up the cut bits. Unless you really want it clean of course, then I'm not one to suggest.