Graphics Can video card damage LCD monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doobystew, 28 Oct 2009.

1. doobystew

doobystew What's a Dremel?

After having a monitor problem (detailed here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=2126251#post2126251) then the same problem reoccur after a few days in the replacement they sent out, I am dying to find the cause of this.

Is there any way a video card can damage an LCD monitor it is connected to? Note that the damage didn't cause the monitor to stop functioning but caused an image problem.

I have searched as much as I can without finding much conclusive information.

I have always worried that my card, a Radeon 9600 Pro, is too hot for the passive cooling solution it came with.

Has it ever been known for an overheating video card to somehow output a signal that would cause a monitor to develop a heat-related problem over time?

2. trig

trig god's little mistake

not that i could imagine. i read your other thread. knowing dell and having seen them do this, i'd bet you a pretty penny that they just "fixed" your old unit and sent it back to you.

3. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

One of the reasons people love Dell; they are bent on fixing issues....

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

lolz...love em

5. doobystew

Actually they sent a replacement to swap with my old monitor in real-time so it can't possibly have been the same monitor as I had both in my hand at one time.

6. Kyocera

I can hardly imagine that a second monitor would give up in such a short time because of the graphic card.

7. McLovin9091

McLovin9091 I Have used a Dremel

IIRC, when you get a replacement of any sort aren't the company in question legally obliged to give 6 months warranty.

I know that when my old laptop was playing up (CD drive consistently stopped working after 3 months after being fixed) i had 6 months if the problem showed up again, which it did for over a year and a half until they decided just to give me a new one.

8. doobystew

McLovin, not sure about the laws but Dell have insisted they'll replace it again.

I was just eager to know if my graphics card is causing it since 2 separate monitors developed the same fault when connected to it. Wouldn't be much point replacing it for the new one to go the same way.

Kyocera - aye, I never imagined it either and nor can I find much about it on Google... maybe I'll get another replacement then see if the third one has the fault it'll further reduce the likelihood that it's a coincidence.

9. Kyocera

To damage the monitor in such a manner in such a short time, the image would have to be unwatchable; at least.
    A GPU is just providing signal; even if a "bad girl" GPU would advice in the signal to overpower a certain area, a monitor with a circuit that enables such a thing belongs on a garbage heap.

10. doobystew

To throw a bit of speculative wood on the fire, a few thoughts I have:

Could it be anything at all to do with the monitor being used as a USB hub?

Is it possible that the "kettle lead" power supply is causing this? I'm not sure it's the original one from the box but I thought they were completely universal anyway.

What about the DVI cable? Is there anything about a bad cable that could cause this?

Again, I presumed what Kyocera has said but would really hope to avoid a third monitor going the same way.

It's a Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP and I have a friend who has had an identical model for the same time as me without such issues.

11. Kyocera

+the monitor has an external power supply???

12. doobystew

No, the only power connector is a standard kettle lead going into the monitor but it has a USB hub.

13. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Kettle leads aren't exactly universal. I mean they are, but theres the fuse inside them.

So if your using a high current fuse, and your getting power spikes or something thats causing problems to the monitor. With the higher rated fuse, it may not blow and protect the monitor.

I may be talking garbage, but its something worth checking.

14. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

This is (legally) absolutely not the case. This would mean that if you had a 1 year warranty on a product, and it failed 1 day before the warranty ran out, you would then receive an extension on that warranty, which is not the case.

15. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

AFAIK the 6 month thing is a gesture of goodwill, some places give you 3 months instead, and then some give you nothing.

16. doobystew

In the case of Dell (at least, for their Ultra Sharp range) they replaced my monitor even though I was already 1 day over the warranty. This replacement they also will replace, no quibble, for 90 days from the day you receive it.