Hardware SilverStone Raven RV02 Case Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 17 Nov 2009.

1. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Can't blame them for trying though, come v3 I reckon it'll be a doozy...

2. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Quite disappointed, it looked really promising i liked the looks and design. Real shame it can't deliver the performance.

3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Rather than simply flame and be unhelpful, perhaps a constructive comment pointing out the other cases that have used this design would be more appropriate. As far I'm aware, the Raven is the first.

4. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

what if you mod the thing and place a few 120's on top of the roof, so air is sucked out harder?

and why no picture of the case with installed components, an no picture of the top?

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I can't remember which other cases there are but there are a couple (I admit, not many). But the one I would highlight to you is that of the Voodoo Omen Dream PC from last year. Although hardly a mainstream case, it is hardly unique or a new idea. Nice miss from the previous CustomPC team...

6. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

What's all this talk about 120s? Loads of decent cases use larger fans and have done for some time. 120s have been around for bloody ages. My 6yr old Antec Super Lanboy has twin 120mm fan mounts. You would think things have moved on a little in 6yrs!

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

On an informative note, you may wish to get your hands on and check out the far nicer looking SHIFT by MAINGEAR which came out a while ago.

http://www.maingear.com/custom/desktops/shift/

Although it does look like a custom case built around the Raven V.2.

8. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

The Omen never went on sale as far as I'm aware. It wasnt in last year's Dream PC competition. Even if the Omen did hit the shelves, it wasn't a case; it was a complete system.

I'd be interested to see any other cases with this design if you know of them.....

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

That shift case is built around the same chassis as the RV01, silverstone's first stab at the design which we previewed.

As far as I'm aware Silverstone are the only manufacturer to be making cases with this sort of thermal layout that are actually on sale.

10. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

The idea was a novel one and in principle at least, it seems like a good idea, but I guess that in this case the theory didn't turn out to be practical. Surely a company like Silverstone has engineers that has a better understanding of thermal properties of materials and would know that plastic is an insulator. That restricting the exhaust air flow would impede the cases cooling no matter how much air you try to force in to the case using three fans that it only adds to the air pressure and that air warms up just like the rest until it leaves the case.

Do companies out there still think that enthusiasts will simply be woo'ed by a different concept and some extra fans? If that was the case we'd all be using BTX cases.

Building cases/enclosures is known to be a very lucrative market when companies get it right and with the economy still on the slow side, I would have expected more thought to have gone in to a product like this, which could have been a real gem and is probably why I have stuck with my Antec case for so long.

11. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Hmm... why no kitted out pics? Of all the cases this would have been the one that needed them. Maybe even some extra attention to explore the novel design?

As for the performace... I dont understand it. Technically this should be super. Maybe despite the size the fans are a bit naff? Maybe you could replace them with a few GT's and see what happens (I understand you can fit a 120.3 rad it there).

12. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

It's an IEC Lead but works great in either a kettle or a pc not to mention loads of scientific aparatus (oscilloscopes, stirrers, ect)

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

So many levels of fail in one neat package!

UGLY

Base mounted intake fans requiring more fans than if they were mounted elsewhere

it's UGLY

Most right handed people who have the case on a desk will want it on the right hand side, making the window pretty pointless (although that's just a personal issue)

it's UGLY

It's too deep vs. high making it look odd

it's UGLY

It's not thermally brilliant, which sort of makes the whole exercise a complete waste of time.

it's UGLY

It's good to see people trying to do something different... but it also has to work, and as the whole idea was to improve thermal performance by having a different layout... it's failed.

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

for a detailed reviewed minus the temp testing but bit-tech did a good job on that ^^, you can check out this review'
    http://www.pcflip.com/reviews/cases/silverstone-raven-rv02/

it go over that SSD bracket and the radiator brackets which most reviewers either didnt mention or didnt explain it right and other things, as well as 180mm fan upgrade options and so on.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2009
  15. HourBeforeDawn

What?

this case is excellent, Im currently using it and my temps dropped by a fair amount and my ram stays cooler with out additional cooling.

Im right handed, and I have the case on the left side but it makes no difference to me so I dont see how this is even remotely relative.

I think it gives it a nice look, away from that typical almost square appearance that other cases have HOWEVER I do agree that I do wish it had the same height as the RV01 to expand a bit on the water cooling side since these graphics cards are so much longer now ie 5980

yes trying something different then the norm is a complete waste of time lol why not go join the Amish they arent for change you would probably fit right in. ~_~

No it did not fail, many have reported significant drops in temps and improved performance, I for one am able to achieve a Higher overclock in this case with more stable memory with out as many fans as I had in my other case. It is relative of course depending on the hardware and methods but most have seen an improvement.

16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Hey... it's just my opinion :)

17. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I still reckon the 3:1 intake/exhaust fan ratio is the main culprit in high temps.

I know it goes against their design intentions, but it would've been interesting to see the PSU mounted round the other way - so that instead of it sucking air from outside the case and blowing it through the roof, it actually sucked air from inside the case and exhausted it instead.

I reckon that would've had a significant impact on temps with no modding whatsoever...

18. akibro

akibro hmmm....

... epic fail

this thing would suck up more dust from my floor than my vacuum cleaner. My HAF932 has 4 120mm fans on the side door panel, which sits off the floor and I still have to get my compressor out every month to give it a blast. As for the rotated mobo tray, well I don't see the value in that unless your case is under a desk.

Sorry SS...

19. HourBeforeDawn

well ya this case is intended for also using graphics cards with exhaust ports to port air out as well. So you would have the rear fan, graphics cards, and the natural rise of hot air to work, Bit-Tech uses passive stuff for testing which wasnt intended for this case design and concept.

Bit-Tech should test this properly for what it was intended not the passive setup they were going with.

well it has dust filters and people still put computers on the ground with their carpet? and even still with a front intake you would still be sucking up dust. This obviously was a case for people with serious setups and most likely would have a proper desk to put their system on.

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Still i find that the case is indeed a decent foray into new grounds, but as many have already said, the execution was poor, what really irks me is why they didn't spare the expense and make the thing aluminum. Also what is odd is that they had no inclusion of a side fan or some extra tops. It is as if, Silverstone had a good idea but ironically neglected the basics and essentials of air cooling on the way to the drawing board.

Tags: Add Tags