Equipment £200 to spend, what lens to buy? (Canon 450D DSLR)

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by jezmck, 19 Nov 2009.

1. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Hi Gang,
    it was my birthday on Tuesday and I got £200 from my gran, and would like to spend it on a new lens for my camera.

I'm still relatively new to photography, so would appreciate your advice on what to get.

(I currently have only the stock 18-55mm lens that came with the camera)

2. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

It depends what you fancy doing. Are you more interested in focusing on one particular field of photography or do you want something that will be good for all around use.

If you are just looking to expand your creative skill, I'd look into getting a 50mm of some sort. I've seen some very nice results from the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II. The bokeh on that thing is gorgeous.

3. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I think nature photography is my most likely subject, am surrounded by trees here, and near the New Forest and the coast. I have taken a number of shots hoping to crop them tightly to achieve a sort of zoom.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

Are you looking for a telephoto zoom lens then? 17-55 covers your wide angle fairly well, so I'd probably look at the EF-S 50-250 F/4-5.6 and if you can stretch to about £225, pick up an EF 50mm F/1.8 II as well.

5. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I can give a halfway nod to the 50-250 - I have one. Bokeh is HORRIBLE though so you have to really use that in your composition or learn how to work around it in photoshop. That being said, I've still not sold mine - it does the job I need it to and the IS and range are great for the price.

Personally, if you're shooting "nature" that can mean two things - wildlife or landscapes. If it's landscape, look to just upgrade the lens you have - I shoot a good 90% of my shots at between 17-35mm. If you're looking at wildlife, you need the telephoto at times and low aperture at others, so tim's recommendation of both those lenses will be by FAR the best bang for your buck.

Hope that helps. :)

6. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

I tend to use onestop-digital.com since Canon lenses have international warranties. I won't buy a body from there though - I tend to buy them from a UK supplier with guaranteed UK stock.

9. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I use warehouse express for a lot of things, Karlu occasionally for some studio things and ffordes.com for second hand suff

10. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Sigma 70-300mm AP0 DG Macro...

11. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

That's very specific, I assume you have one yourself?

12. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Since you've got a Canon body, I'd advise putting the cash towards a Nikon one.... :p

Kidding! My dSLR came with an 18-55 kit lens, and the first lens I bought was a prime (85mm) that's relatively fast (f1.8d); shooting with fast lenses is tremendous fun, and really allows you to be creative with depth-of-field, focus and composition. Fast lenses are often used for portraits, but they can also be great for detail shots (this, this and this) - just because you're surrounded by landscape doesn't mean you need to use a big telephoto to take pics.

Just my 2c, anyway :)

Last edited: 20 Nov 2009
  13. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

I own one of these and although its a very nice lens, I wouldn't recommend it as a first off lens. I wish I had gone for a nice 50mm lens before I had jumped into all of this telephoto business.

14. theazz

theazz What's a Dremel?

15. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

That's what I ended up getting!
    I paid a little more than that because I decided I didn't want to wait for delivery from an online shop.