Blogs Recommend Me A Board Game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 27 Nov 2009.

1. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

/thread

It can only take this long on a move if everyone is throwing in modifiers to help/hinder the game (only at the end normally). It depends how badly you want someone else not to win I suppose and how much you want to hurt your friends [in game].

2 expansion packs is all that is needed for a really diverse game. Change an expansion pack out every 6 months or so if you get bored of it.

Get at least 1 expansion pack. There are fast play rules to get things moving quickly. Also there are Epic Levels (free .pdf rulebook) to make things more interesting at the top end.

2. grolph

grolph What's a Dremel?

I second Roborally. It fits all your categories. There's nothing like a slight hip and shoulder in the first movement phase and watching them careen through lasers and off the board.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

For some "Try before you buy" action, you might try to get to "Stabcon" a bi-annual board game/RPG convention held at the Britannia Hotel, Stockport.
    (a big improvement, as it used to be held in Manchester Uni's Woolton Hall - not renowned for its food or accomodation)
    The next one is being held 8-10 January. They don't have a website, just an email address (bookings@stabcon.org.uk) for details.

The format is generally "Run What You Brung". ie. people bring their own games to play, but there are usually a dealer or two attending also.

4. ychamp

ychamp What's a Dremel?

I'm going to recommend illuminati which is a really awesome game where each player plays as an illuminati and tries to take over the world. One of the funner games I've ever played. A game can take anything from 30 minutes to 4 hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati_(game)

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Space Hulk (I think the new rules allow for more than one marine player, and there are a fair few different models in the box)
    Space Crusade (same game really, but 4 player 3 different marine chapters vs ork/genestealer/chaos)
    Dungeon Quest
    Blood Bowl (I got given 2 different versions of this a few months back)
    Cluedo
    Go for Broke I seem to remeber this being fun

I've got a Star Wars boardgame on my wardrobe that I've never even played.

6. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Khet laser chess. Best board game I have ever played.

7. markoconnor

markoconnor What's a Dremel?

Heh, a year later I'm curious as to what you're playing now. I wrote a little web app to recommend games; for you it recommended Race for the Galaxy, Arkham Horror, Dominion, Battlestar Galactica and a few others, including a Last Night On Earth expansion: http://www.findanewgame.com/#32NB

Have you played any of these in the last year? I'd love to hear how accurate the recommendations were for you!

8. Mopep7

Mopep7 What's a Dremel?

Hello Joe, what is that boardgame that its on the 1st picture of your post?? it looks very complex and interesting

9. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

My boardgame-playing friends rave about Dominion. It's a card game where you build a deck over the course of play, using in-game currency (earned through certain cards) to buy better cards, some which earn you more currency, others that give you new abilities. Those abilities include being able to inconvenience your opponents... *evil grin*

It's a deep game but doesn't take too long to play, and should be relatively easy to learn.

Edit: Crikey, who necro'd this one then?

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Er... chess?

Tags: Add Tags