1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Medal of Honour goes modern

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by smc8788, 4 Dec 2009.

1. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I'm surprised no one's picked up on this yet.

http://www.medalofhonor.com/

It's being developed by DICE and is to be set in modern day Afghanistan.

I wonder what prompted this frankly shocking and unexpected move :duh: :lol:

Probably reading the MoH: Airbourne sales figures I would imagine. I just hope they do it well, but I have high hopes for it as I always preferred the MoH to CoD where WWII games were concerned (which I now hope will die a quick and painless death).

It'll certainly be interesting if they end up going up against yet another WWII rehash from Treyarch (which is extremely likely, as they can hardly be considered innovators and MW is IW's baby).

Last edited: 4 Dec 2009
    pimonserry likes this.
  2. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I bet it will have dedicated servers.

pimonserry likes this.
  3. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Modern day afganistan eh?

So first mission patrolling in a humvee which then blows up. Game Over.

SazBard likes this.
  4. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Most likely, as DICE have committed to them for the BF series.

5. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I'd like to see some screenshots or videos or something. I hate when developers just release teasers :(

I hope they can revive the series. Airborne was pants.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2009
  6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Same. Airborne was pants (despite an awesome opportunity), Pacific Assault was pants, and most of the recent console ones were equally lame.

7. Bede

Bede Minimodder

As long as it isn't a MW2 clone this could actually be a very good thing for the FPS market :)

8. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

i love the fact they wen t for a zz top lookalike soldier for the cover.

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Urgh they could have tried something a bit more original, CoD and BF have the modern warfare market pretty much covered.

They should do something completely random like space monkey pirates.

10. Krikkit

Not keen on the idea of this now I've actually read the site - "Tier 1 operators"... Couldn't we just be Special Forces instead?

11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

No, because the site says that Tier 1 operators are better than special forces.

12. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

*yawn*

bored of games about american super soldiers, do an fps based on the crimean or the british civil war or even vietnam if you must

13. Krikkit

Vietcong 3 would be interesting. All that foliage could really look amazing if they used the Crysis as a base. :D

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

how about a tactical shooter where you set up and plan attacks like a real SAS operative

oh wait im reffering to the non consolified rainbow 6 games :duh:

15. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Medal of Honour: Zulu :D

Nah, the problem is that the Medal of Honour is a specifically American medal. Their civil war is too limited in a tech sense - cannons, muskets, gatling gun and rifles IIRC - none of the stuff we demand today like snipers, SMGs and auto shotties :D. Same applies to the war of independence. Korea has no mass market appeal, and Vietnam is probably in the pipeline somewhere.

The way I think this will work is that MW2 will slowly implode in the next few months (on PC), Bad Company 2 is a combined arms game, and then MOH:A will take over from MW2 as the pure infantry FPS.

16. EvilRusk

EvilRusk What's a Dremel?

Vietcong was awesome. When I saw Farcry and then Crysis I just kept thinking of how much better Vietcong could be with such an engine!

I really don't like "elite sniper super mega man special forces." At least MW had you switching the role between elite and regular soldier. You're supposed to be elite and they always give you crappy team members that can't open doors and miss enemies 2 feet away...

And no damn rooms of infinite spawning baddies until you pass a magic checkpoint either!

To be honest though, all they need to do is clone MW2 but have dedicated servers and they could walk away with top game.

17. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Medal of Honour: Offworld Assault

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the Galaxy. Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?

Oh wait, that might have already been done. Seriously though, I'd like a Vietnam or Korea based game if only as a break from WWII or 'modern ‘Middle Eastern’ conflicts. Also, somebody do away with the stupid hide in shadow/auto heal mechanic.

18. Krikkit

It was an awful game though, another sadly missed opportunity.

The auto-heal mechanic is the only alternative compared to a health kit system really. You could do away with regeneration, but that lessens the amount of action you could have.

19. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I don't usually see any action before a girl reaches for the pepper spray; but if we're talking games, well I can see how it would be useful on a console where the control system is tricky at best. However, on a PC I prefer the L4D style knockdown/health bar system. In a Vietnam/Korea environment it'd make more sense to have a medic/team mate help you up.

20. Krikkit

It would work for a squad-based system, but that restricts you away from branching out from your squad, even for a little while.