CPU The Core i-? range

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Edge102030, 21 Dec 2009.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well said and i cannot disagree with any of your points.

therefore it's simple as if encoding more than 50% of the computing time: LGA1366, otherwise LGA1156. if primarily gaming: i5, otherwise i7.

2. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Right, now that's settled, I wanna ask something else.

I was told in this thread that a cheap X58 board is nothing to be concerned about as there aren't really any "bad" boards. Can the same be said for P55?

3. atomac

atomac What's a Dremel?

What would be a good combination of Motherboard and Ram for an Intel Core i5 750?

I was looking at the Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard but not sure what ram would be best to get as i have been told it would need ram with a low voltage?

4. darkb

darkb What's a Dremel?

Well there isn't alot to go wrong with the P55 boards.. Most of the main components are integrated into the cpu. Mainly look at voltage regulation / cooling and features IMO. Also layout if that's relevant. There was a problem with cheaper boards using cheaper cpu sockets that didn't contact as well and could fail under extreme overclocking, but I doubt that would effect you.. It's probably been fixed by now anyways, was probably ony early batches.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

just get a board with suitable number of PWM MOSFET's and good enough cooling, so that it can handle an overclocked i7.

as for RAM, any RAM will do. i am using Dominators designed for AMD with 1.9v. no problem at 1.5v or even 1.3v.