1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 hacked, public release soon?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Jan 2010.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That's old news...

2. Tele1952

Tele1952 What's a Dremel?

what's the point...

3. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Way to go GeoHot! If you would just make a proper jailbreak (NOT tethered) for the late october 3gs!

4. _-..zKiLLA..-_

_-..zKiLLA..-_ What's a Dremel?

I think that should be the first objective, that would make a lot of people very happy :thumb:

5. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Its up He has posted the work he has done. Looking forward to what comes of this.

6. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Of all the things the PS3 can do with a media server in the network, the only thing I can think of that I would want more out of it would be emulators to play some of abandonware of yore.

7. dinjo_jo

dinjo_jo What's a Dremel?

I guess his exploit which he has posted does not works on Slim

8. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It work on all current versions of the PS3, but it's far from perfect.

9. dinjo_jo

Do you know what the hack is about as he says its for Research

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It allows hypervisor-level access to the entire system - the root keys have still not yet been identified, and nor has the filesystem decryption been broken. This means it's an exploit to gain access to parts of the hardware you're not supposed to be able to access - it doesn't mean pirate games or homebrew (yet).

I really hope they don't break the filesystem/bluray encryption - this might allow a scenario where the full power of the system can be used, but still means pirate games are out of the question. Realistically though, once the root keys are found it's game over as far as any security on the PS3 goes.

11. perplekks45

And given his reputation and the fact he made his exploit public and released it to the masses who will help now, this is only a matter of time.

12. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Not necessarily, if the keys are embedded inside the Cell and truly never leave then this hack isn't going to help at all.

13. dinjo_jo

And this only seems to be working on Phat and not on Slim since it requires Linux

14. perplekks45

... as he said on his blog, yes.

Well, even if it's impossible to get the keys, it's still impressive and I think it just shows that virtually nothing is impossible when it comes to hacking. ;)

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I personally hope it's not possible to gain the root keys or decrypt the filesystem/blu-ray encryption. This exploit already gives full access to the hardware, which is what many people running PS3 Linux have always wanted. Having read the guy's blog, he says it also allows full access to the the GPU memory space - presumably this means that the GPU can be programmed, if someone suitably skilled in writing drivers can be found (jackpot!!!) He even thinks that the GPU may not even be restricted in the first place, just lacking a 3D driver.

I would conjecture that unrestricted access to the GPU and hardware would be the *real* holy grail for modders and homebrewers - people who are genuinely interested in these things generally have no motivation for piracy. Questions around reverse engineering the SDK - and therefore the legality of doing this - are irrelevant if you can control every piece of hardware from a (fairly) standard Linux environment.

Tags: Add Tags