Notebooks Which meaty 17"+ laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GlasgowGeek, 12 Jan 2010.

1. GlasgowGeek

GlasgowGeek What's a Dremel?

I'm not wheelchair bound, more like Andy from Little Britain actually. It gives the missus somewhere to put the suitcases/shopping and means i don't have to walk either. ;)
    Seriously, i only use it after a certain time/distance and it beats the alternative!

I read the review of the Kobalt G860 in the mag but it sorta puts me off getting a machine with only one 280M in it.

I thought about a nice shiny paint job but i'd rather spend the cash on more hardware. :)
    I must admit that the Kobalt Commanche SLi looks good but the screen res is a bit naff.

2. GlasgowGeek

No prob. Stephen Hawking has wheels and lots of heat and very crap battery life too and he seems happy enough. Bet he hacks wifi-n too. My battery only needs to last from one room to another or from car to building. I'm on my 2nd Toshiba laptop so i'm used to a 15min battery life.

And as for carrying a laptop down the street, i live in Glasgow. I don't even wear a watch with short sleeves! lol

3. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

:rock:

4. GlasgowGeek

Well i still haven't ordered one yet. I got so close to clicking the submit payment for a Kobalt G870 but couldn't bring myself to do it knowing the Asus G73 is due out and a new ATi 5x mobile GPU. It's bad enough paying a premium for graphics that are several generations behind desktops but doing it this close to a new release would really hurt! lol

5. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

6. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

UK laptop link to the above laptop

You know you want it, I know you want it... but you're not going to buy it because every member of this site will hate you with a passion out of jealousy :p

7. GlasgowGeek

lol, it's worth getting just for that then! :-D

I think i want it, but i need to check a few trustworthy reviews before i even hover over the BuyMe! button. Does it even have any competition?

8. GlasgowGeek

9. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

No, it doesn't, It's the only one with a mobile HD5xxx chip at all, Although there are plenty of others with the i7 720M processor (The Kobalt G870 for one).

I wouldn't bother waiting for reviews, unless Bindi gets hold of one (and I'm guessing he's trying his utmost to... I would be)

10. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Mesh has a "budget" gaming laptop with the mobile i7 and HD5650. a mear £899

11. GlasgowGeek

Hmm, i notice that Denis' link lets you customise the beast to your own specs, but play.com only seems to supply it with the default low spec cpu. Anybody know of a UK supplier that offers different specs?

12. GlasgowGeek

He read, he drooled, he ordered. :)

I'm sure i'll just end up taking it to bits after a few months (like everything else) and i can upgrade the CPU then. ;-)

BTW. I read an article once about getting a refund from Micro$oft for an unwanted OS. Anybody know how to do this?

13. Denis_iii

14. Prae

Prae What's a Dremel?

15. GlasgowGeek

Probably. We usually get ripped off for tech :-/

But after paying import tax & shipping it doesn't usually work out cheaper. And you get a
    US keyboard which would take me ages to get used to again. Sending it back for warranty repairs is expensive and lengthy too, so i'd still rather pay the extra.

If anybody knows anywhere else to get a UK one though, i'm all ears!

16. Prae

Prae What's a Dremel?

2nd that!

17. natward

natward What's a Dremel?

Yeah I agree that buying from the US is a hassle, but blimey we shouldn't be this much more expensive, I hate the way these companies think we are rich in the UK and charge nearly double for stuff than the US.

That said, looks like a good laptop glasgowGeek , hope it performs as well as it looks on paper, nice spec. I'm also on the bandwagon of the 17" over the 15", I got a 15 " laptop a couple of years ago and my mate has a 17" one, its not a big deal carry the thing around if its just from room to room and plugging it in. Travelling though I would opt probably for one of these cheap netbooks 10 " ers or a 15" if you wanted to actually work on something like photoshop.

18. Prae

Prae What's a Dremel?

Yeah the price different it crazy. When it gets to the point where you could actually book a flight to the US, buy the laptop there and come back and still spend less then if you bought it here. There must be somthing wrong.

19. Denis_iii

there are other sites that export to the UK which i'll use if the match neweggs price else i'll buy from newegg and use myus to ship it over, never done it before to going to research options first

http://www.myus.com/

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g73jha1-order-p-2731.html
    http://1toppc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=G73JH-A1
    http://www.powernotebooks.com/configure.php?special=694

Gentech is supposedly the best from the forum I was reading, gives you TIM options to.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=447065

20. Denis_iii

ASUS comes with worldwide warranty, they pay for shipping from what i've been told by Xotic PC.

how's teh US keyboard diff aside from a small enter/return key?