1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Blueprints Collection

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Djayness, 13 Oct 2009.

1. juppeli

juppeli What's a Dremel?

Something extraordnary: I would love to have blueprints (2d or 3d) for 3 lobes roots supercharger for small displacement engines (50 to 250cm³). I was planning to do it with CNC CAD/CAM in China to keep the costs low. Is here anyone thats expert with things like this?

2. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Alot, all up. If you want the real price or are interested in getting one then shoot me a pm.

Haha I havent done anything with it yet so no need to be envious. Also thats my fiance now :p

Sweet, great to hear! I'll be popping out models soon and ill find a temporary place for them to live whilst jez gets the site underway.

Im not an expert but if you want a chinese cnc I can help you with that, afterall, I just bought one.

3. denis6902

denis6902 deathbox

hey everyone, need a little hand please.

Today i scanned a I/O backplate, and using photoshop i save it and edited it in illustrator, so i added enough anchor points and export it as dxf and dwg but when i import it to sketchup it goes wrong somehow.

Here on the first pic, i tried i try to show the print preview from within Illustrator and i tried printing it and it matches the I/O backplate just perfect.
    [​IMG]

Here on the seconf picture you can see when i import any of the dxf or dwg in and it goes superb huge and my lines are not there, its like it only save the selection box and not the shapes as you see on the previous picture.
    [​IMG]

Want to get this shaped on sketchup so i can take to be cut on the cnc.
    any ideas? help!

4. denis6902

denis6902 deathbox

5. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

I'm having the same issues denis. I've been looking for some kind of free DWG editor but have not found anything very good yet. eMachineShop looked promising as it imported my AutoCAD created DXF and even exported it as a DXF but it chokes when you try and import that same exported DXF back into eMachineShop for more editing.

Any of you guys have a good, free alternative to AutoCAD to create and edit your DXF files?

6. denis6902

denis6902 deathbox

i made that drawing on adobe illustrator, but it went huge when i imported it to sketchup. i love sketchup though, its probably something wrong i am doing in illustrator but cant figure it out.

7. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Ok, I just got QCAD and it seems to do a great job. It's compatible with Windows 7, Mac OSX, and Linux. It also has snapping, polyline editing, and command line operations. The best part is that its native file format is DXF so it opens them at the correct scale (at least mine that were in millimeters). The trial is fully functional but has a timeout timer set for 10 minutes at a time. Thankfully the full version doesn't cost too much if you wanted to rid yourself of trial timers.

EDIT:
    Solid Edge 2D seems to be a little more feature rich and user friendly compared to QCAD and the best part is that it's 100% free! Appears to play nice with DXF files in and out too.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2010
  8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Denis6902 - Illustrator is print media based, so what you are getting are the outlines of images instead of the actual shapes. At best, I think it can export image textures for objects.
    (and scaling in SU is a b*tch!)

9. AllAgainstPaul

AllAgainstPaul So Little To Do, So Much Time

I just started to use Solid Edge 2D. I must say that it is the easiest one to learn so far. In just a few hours I made this 2.5 to 3.5 HDD tray.
    [​IMG]

Had some trouble getting the units to stay in inches. I would have preferred to use mm but the ruler I had on hand was a engineering ruler in inches.

10. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Yeah, Solid Edge is surprisingly useful for a free application. I've had trouble getting the units to all play nice together too. Try messing around with the different quick startup sheets as that seems to have an effect on how the units are read.

I also noticed they have a dedicated forum HERE but it's all private so you have to register with the information provided with your download in order to even view any posts. They do seem to have decent support in there though.

11. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Prefer Rhino 3d for my CAD. I'll import any kind of file to it if i have to.

File formats supported: DWG/DXF(AutoCAD 200x, 14, 13, and 12 ), SAT (ACIS, export only), DGN, FBX, X_T (Parasolid, export only), 3DS, LWO, STL, SLC, OBJ, AI, RIB, POV, UDO, VRML, BMP, TGA, CSV (export properties and hydrostatics), uncompressed TIFF, STEP, VDA, GHS, GTS, KML, PLY, SketchUP, SolidWorks.

IGES (Alias, Ashlar Vellum, AutoFORM, AutoShip, Breault, CADCEUS, CAMSoft, CATIA, Cosmos, Delcam, EdgeCAM, FastSurf, FastSHIP, Integrity Ware, IronCAD, LUSAS, Maya, MAX 3.0, MasterCAM, ME30, Mechanical Desktop, Microstation, NuGraf, OptiCAD, Pro/E, SDRC I-DEAS, Softimage, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, SUM3D, SURFCAM, TeKSoft, Unigraphics), NASA GridTool, Yamaha ESPRi, Tebis.

Can use VBscript directly.

Can direct interface with digitizers, but most importantly export G-code with a plugin for use in CAM.
    Taken directly from their website.

12. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I'm going to bump this thread so that you can all start hassling me to get something done!

The SCC will be featured in an upcoming issue of CustomPC and BluePrints may get a mention...

13. Cheapskate

Everbuddy poke Jezmck with a stick!

And congrats on the feature.:D

14. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

"INSERT POKE SMILIE HERE"

15. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

My article is in the June 2010 issue of Custom PC, page 104, part of the headline feature! :D

16. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Anything come of this project?

17. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Eh, kinda.

It seemed to me that there wasn't much content.

Perhaps it's a case of build and they will come.

18. Cheapskate

-Can't fill a bucket without the bucket.:hehe:

19. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Give me a bucket to fill and I will fill it :)

I have standard ATX motherboard templates, HDD bay templates, 120mm fan templates, 5.25 bay templates, PSU power hole templates etc etc etc. I can make each one into a DXF for people to use and edit as they please.

Maybe the demand isnt quite there yet, I agree that the amount of people who have CNC's on this forum at best can be considered a minority and in most cases, they have exactly the templates I have mentioned above.

I do however see the affordability of mini mills and the like raising the profile of home CNC users. It will be interesting to see where we are at 5 years from now, home kit CNC's might just be the norm for the average modder.

20. JimmyTheHand

JimmyTheHand What does this button do?

I all for this idea- it will be a great help for those of us needing to amke similar parts- i/o cutouts, hdd bays etc.
    Any further developments?