Scratch Build – In Progress laptop with built-in wi-fi

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by purpleflag, 16 Feb 2010.

1. purpleflag

purpleflag What's a Dremel?

I'd like to build a laptop with built-in wi-fi but all the instructions I have found require external wi-fi cards or usb. :grr:

Please can anyone help!

ps whilst i just about managed to build a full tower pc i have never tried anything as squashed as a laptop:worried:. Also if possible please can anyone point me in the direction of some step-by-step instructions for an idiot(me) to understand(I know a while back custom pc mag had instructions, but I had a look for it and I can't find it-put out(?))

pps I'd like to make it with 2 hard drives-everywhere i've looked for ones to buy as pre-build and they all have 2 identical drives, so i was wondering do they have to be identical and what is the the maximum size per drive is(i've heard 500gb each is the max)?

2. compmodder

compmodder What's a Dremel?

Western digital has 1TB and 750GB drives, but they are a tad thicker than the 500GB and 640GB (12.5mm if i am not mistaken) http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=685. If you planning on making your own casing then you could accomodate this, but if not I would stick with 2 identical 500GB drives. they run faster speeds if u get the 7200rpm and will last you a long time (i have had my 500GB since they came out in my laptops [went from an old macbook pro to a new unibody macbook])

3. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Confused, why building a latop exactly?
    Most laptops have bulit in wifi, or at least in form of mini pci, even if you were to use a sub you could strip it to circuit's only, seen people do it on portable 360's

4. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

sorry for being a bugger but this should be in the modding section until you have started the build and got pictures to show.