1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals USB printer not detected properly

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by davidj, 15 Feb 2010.

1. davidj

davidj davidj

Hi - have upgraded my son's kit with offcasts from my system and then installed W7.
    So, he has an ASUS P5K Black Pearl WiFi Mobo with an intel 9450 quad core with 4MB ram, 1TB caviar green HD, creative x-fi xtreme gamer sound.
    We bought him an epson stylus S20 for his school work and W7 just doesn't see it.
    But, when plugged into my intel i720/W7 system, it sees it straight away and prints no problem.
    He has a usb keyboard/mouse that work ok and swapping things around makes no difference.
    There is a printer detected on usb port 001 but it doesn't appear in the printer list box. The epson software doesn't see it all and the driver can't be upgraded as W7 says the best driver is already installed.
    Any suggestions?
    TIA
    davidj

2. xxpokerxx

xxpokerxx What's a Dremel?

What I would do is plug in the printer, then go to device manager and find the printer device then delete the device, that way windows has no idea of what it is. Then install the latest driver, restart then it should work fine. Another route is to delete the driver (same first step) but after that restart, with the printer plugged in, then when windows pops up saying new device found insert the cd that came with the printer and install the driver that way. This has always worked for me (not necessarily a printer, but a device is a device).