1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New threats! :jawdrop:

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Lizard, 29 Jan 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Have you got Issue 78 of the mag? If so, it's got a step-by-step guide for overclocking an i7-920 to 3.8GHz on an Asus motherboard.

2. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

3.8ghz easily done on 920 D0 stepping & 1600mhz memory, 2 ways of doing it:

BCLK @ 200, 20x multiplier, PCIE clock @ 100mhz, set memory timings manually IE 8-8-8-24, DRAM voltage @ 1.64v, Mem @ DDR3-1600mhz (or nearest match, mine is at 1603mhz) all other settings can stay on Auto besides turning off Speedstep, C1E support & CState (if you have them) and then just set CPU & QPI voltages to 1.25v to start off with, shouldn't need to go much above that but go up in stages making sure you use LinX to stress for at least a couple of hours.

If it fails on 1.2500v go up in stages so 1.2750v next etc, cant see you needing to go above 1.30v though. Also make sure you dont go much above 70 degress on the CPU when stressing, even though it will take it fine as the i7's have a 100 degree TJMAX its not good to have it much above 70 degrees 24/7 folding. Your aim is to keep in under 68 degrees when folding 24/7 :)

Other way of doing it is same as above but using a BLK @ 190 and 21x multiplier (turbo multiplier) sometimes you can get voltages down on the core this way...
    Hope all that makes sense anyway! Good luck :thumb:

Oh yeah BigAdv's will only run on 8-thread CPU's as you need the -smp 8 flag so wont work on normal quad cores mate ;)

3. coolamasta

Doh, forgot about that in the last mag after typing out all the above lol :wallbash:

4. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

forgot about the last mag {was mag 77 master class page 98} (Big adv only works on linux only as well i think there are no bigadv units for winSMP2 yet)

Last edited: 30 Jan 2010
  5. brooksy

brooksy What's a Dremel?

We have just had our electricity bill arrive so I will have to turn it down for a while.
    coolamasta could you sneak another PC into that server room? :D

6. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

Could I suggest checking just to make sure none of your folding clients are mis-configured.
    I have just discovered I am the only active user for team 36947 NSU Folders. One of
    my graphics cards, an HD4850, was folding for team 36947 instead of team 35947.
    I have reconfigured it now.

Perhaps I am the only one so careless. Perhaps not.

7. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Easily done. I've mistyped my name on occasions :jawdrop:

8. leexgx

i have got one CPU client folding for 35948 ........ guess i find that pc in the next year or so

9. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere but it does look like Dave_Goodchild has ceased folding towards the end of last year according to his stats, so a big chuck of points is going to be missing from his contribution.

10. coolamasta

Yeah Dave seems to have stopped, it will always happen, people leave and people join, a year ago I wasn't here and have since made nearly 35 million, there are other big producers that have been here a long time and made huge contributions to the team :thumb:

We had JackOfAll (CliveM) and Vince_Kinslow leave us last year who were big producers and also PS3/LanDi has recently had to cease folding which is a great loss to us but hopefully there are still going to be others out there joining up to make the numbers back up :)

Even though there are us big PPD folders its the hundreds of normal/average PPD folders that give us the nice figure we are getting, just need to find a way of attracting more people into the folding world on our great team :D

...or just find someone that has a spare server room filled with 5500-series Xeon blade servers lol :rock:

Last edited: 2 Feb 2010
  11. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

Now we seem to have changed places with TSC! Russia as far as ppd are concerned. We were getting over 3 million ppd and they used to get a bit less than 3 million. Now we get about 2.7 and they get over 3. There are 7.9 months until we drop to 7th place. We are calculated to get 6th place back about 10 months from now, but that does not allow for Overclockers Australia speeding up and us slowing as summer moves from there to here later in the year. We are scoring 1 million ppd more than them, so I expect they will be overtaken by Christmas. Overclock.net are still years away from us.

Congratulations TSC! Russia on being good for the science.

12. saspro

saspro IT monkey

supercrazymark appears to be on a mission, he's on my threat list & producing stupid amounts of points. There may be hope yet.

13. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

I've got plans for a major farm extension, unfortunately work is very busy right now and the last thing I want to do late at night is more system building :(

14. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

I'm expecting my pockets to feel slightly lighter after the 16th March .... the release date for the i7 hexa-cores :naughty:

15. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Always willing to help with setups mate.

I have a plan if I move jobs soon (already in the planning) back to my old company. I might be able to get some blades for testing (after VMing their current setup) & by testing I mean folding :rock:.

16. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Thanks for the offer of help, and good luck with the job moving.

Also congratulations to everybody - yesterday we output 2,855,519 points - the highest we've done for almost a month :)

17. PS3/LanDi

PS3/LanDi Give me the Mirror

saspro! blades folding! bring it on! should be good pointage.

Im not out the game quite yet i hope to be contributing again soon - i have a plan - i have been speaking to BT about an unlimited use business line.....

also good to see lots of new high end producers to offset the leavers!

18. leexgx

so does option 2-3 have an download cap limit on there unlimited services ?? option 1 is not good for most company's if you have 10 or more pcs