News Activision shuts down King's Quest fan project

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Mar 2010.

1. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

wow..activision-blizzard... W.T.F.!

2. netsirk

netsirk What's a Dremel?

3. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

reminds me of those damn women on building sites who have on all the safety gear which never gets used and tell you to put on your safety glasses in case water gets in your eyes.... bullys and masterbators the lot of em....

4. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Activision is seriously asking for zero support from the PC and overall game community. I think I will cancel my pre-order for StarCraft II. Nice job Activision.

5. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

that's another company on my don't buy list. well done, activision

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I never heard of the game before but wholeheartedly support them, 8 years of unpaid community fan work flushed away just when they were gearing up for release, wow, just wow.
    Activision are so heartless, I kinda doubt I'll buy anything from activision if they keep this snide practice up, they have to at least give them a break or I am definately boycotting them for life.
    I skipped mw2 because of no dedicated servers and absolutely I have bc2 pre-ordered ;)
    I enjoy all types of games so would have liked to have tried it out at least.
    I signed the petition and made a small donation, hope it helps.

7. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

I compleatly aggree that Activision have gone crazy today and are seriously going downhill overall, but how many people are seriously not going to buy a good game just because it was made by Activision. I cant say I wont, but congrats to anybody with enough moral integrity to say yes.

8. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

unfortunately to those who do have the morals to boycott Activision, they will put down the lost sales to piracy.

9. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Activision = Major Tool

I feel really bad for all those that put their free time into this effort to get shut down like that.

10. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

i don't get it. why? did they give any decent reason? because it's not like they don't really care if it continues or not; they went as far as a 'cease and go-lie-down-and-die' letter.

or maybe the lawyers were just bored? a lot of strange stuff happens when people are bored.

11. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

if anybody at Activision was intelligent at all they'd hire these guys and release the game with their name on it. stupid, stupid move. Irritating fans of the series and attempting to destroy it's future at the same time.

12. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

one more thing: why can't they abide by the agreement they purchased? sounds like an underhanded thing to do IMHO.

13. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Just change the name to something else and release anyway. Rename King's Quest to Royal Escapade, change the hair colour of the characters and add a notice that any resemblance is purely coincidental.

14. scrumble

scrumble What's a Dremel?

Breach of contract? Sierra agreed to issue the licence, but then are bought by Activision. When Activision purchased Sierra, they will have also purchased all agreements and contracts issued by Sierra, unless Sierra itself has been closed down and no longer exists as a company.

But as Javerh said, just change the details. If the body of the game is new, and only the names and storyline relate to Kings Quest, then simply change the names.

15. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Activision have got a little too big for their boots I think. Smaller companies run by people who value the game industry and the community like sierra are willing to give these licences because they, themselves, likely enjoy the franchise being extended by the fans like this.
    A company the size of Activision will be run by men in suits who's only interest is business.

16. Cruelinios

Cruelinios EvE Addict

Activision are turning in to a bunch of twats, it's a free non-commercial project and closing something down after 8 years of work makes me feel sick, I feel for those developers.

Rename it, re-brand it and release it!

17. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

From TSL Email;

As you may already know, a fan-based campaign to help save TSL has already started. While it's not guaranteed to have any impact on Activision, we do know that it did make a difference in the past with Vivendi.

We encourage you to visit the links below for further information:

Online Petition:
    http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/savetsl/

Facebook Group:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=382202612795&ref=mf

MySpace Page:
    http://www.myspace.com/savetsl

Form Letter for Contacting Activision:
    http://www.tsl-game.com/forum/index.php?topic=8406.0

Thanks again to everyone that has supported us in the past and continue to do so today

18. Nickel

Nickel What's a Dremel?

Right, that's it. Activision has made the list. As long as a game bears their name I'm not touching it, I'll make sure my friends know...

19. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

Its past time these big corps die and get out of gaming. They do nothing but create suits who do nothing but suck up the profits for their FAT CAT lifestyle instead of reinvesting in better games like ID did in its early days. Instead we are bombarded with sequels.

Tags: Add Tags