TV Shows Calling stargate fans! Help!

Discussion in 'General' started by Malvolio, 4 Mar 2010.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Alright, so I've been slowly watching my way through SG1 (mid way through season four right now), and find myself absolutely loving it to bits: subtle humour, good action, and a deep enough plot running through the entire series to keep me coming back to watch the next episode. However, I face a problem: do I test the waters and jump onto Atlantis after I'm through with SG1? Am I going to see more of the same, or is it so different that I'll be put off stargate for good? And how well does it align itself to SG1?

I know that the Atlantis series starts off from somewhere in season seven of SG1, but I'm unsure of how similar it is to SG1, or the key differences.

As well, how is Universe shaping up? Are you true fans enjoying it in general? How closely does it align itself to SG1?

And before you lot start into me, I'm not just wanting to read off wiki what some faceless drone has said about each series, I'm wanting actual, fan-oriented commentary on the two series, and if I'm going to enjoy each if I spend the cash to buy them on DVD (or go out of my way to watch the current episodes of Universe, despite my not having broadcast network television), as I have with SG1. Not exactly a cheap proposition for something I won't like!

[​IMG]

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Wait until atlantis is introuduced in SG1 and then watch them side by side. Atlantis was pretty good, but it suffered later on and I fear that universe is going to go the same way.

3. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

irc atlantis comes in season 8 or 9 (been a while since of watched it)
    atlantis was all very exciting with SG1 searching for it but i found the series abit dull but if your into stargate then tis worth a watch.

New Universe has been OK so far, only a few eps so far so it is abit hard to judge just yet.

4. Malvolio

Malvolio .

So, they interact to a certain degree then?

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I thought season 1 of atlantis was great! the show slowly declined. They faced the problem of having a city with unlimited tech, but the show couldn't use it as it would of solved too many problems and limit the story line.
    I mean, power problems? Why not just find "how to make a power supply for dummies" book in the data base and solve your power problem? Its a city after all, it must have a production lab of some kind. I really hate how it ended too. It just ended. Dont want to spoil it. I loved the last episode, but not the way they led up to it. It just happened.

Universe Is a different beast. Totally different way of telling the story. Hit and miss if you will like it or not, depends on you. I like it because I see some potential in it. Maybe 3 seasons if they stretch it out.

They do interact. Some gate travel. Some ship travel. The odd communication. Mostly Atlantis is on its own.

6. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Atlantis is totally isolated throughout season 1 but interacts with SG1 after that. I certainly think it goes SG-1>Atlantis>Universe but they're all pretty good. Have you seen then re-imagined Battlestar Galactica?

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I personally never got into Atlantis, even though I LOVED SG1 and still do. I can remember the days of watching it on wednesdays on Sky1 in like 1999.

Also I've enjoyed Universe so far, just a bit too slow though.

8. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

I've enjoyed Atlantis just as much as SG1, so no, there should not be any problems at all. Universe though... I wish there was a puke smiley on bit-tech.

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I've seen them all so far I have to say Stargate universe is a bit cr*p really I keep hoping it's going some where but it seems not.

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Stargate SG1 gets a bit crapper in S9 and 10, but its still pretty interesting and funny. Atlantis I loved to bits, and was gutted when it got cancelled as it was on a real up right at the end. Dont be fooled though, at mid way through SG1 S4 you are really entering the prime stargate material. Series' 3, 4, 5 and 6 are probably the best stargate in my opinion.

Universe is good, but there hasn't been enough of it to reveal when it becomes stable. If every week is another life threatening disaster for the entire crew after 10 more episodes ill be bashing my head against the wall :)

edit: also, youre such a lucky ******* having all that fresh stargate to watch :(

11. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Quoted for truth.

The final series of atlantis definitely picked up the pace, really enjoyable imo. Wait until it's introduced in SG1 until you start watching, which is around end of series 7. Season 8 they actually get there iirc.

12. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I just started watching the series as well, but I'm going backwards. I've finished Universe and will be moving on to SG-1 next (movies too), and then Atlantis last.

As for Universe I think it's pretty good but it tends to drag. Like Bogomip said, if every episode is a disaster it will get boring quick.

13. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

The series' interest gets worse as they go on, SG1 was amazual (yes, that is a word ONLY to be used when describing SG1), Atlantis was good and got better as Amanda Tapping took over, and universe is OK (I've only got up to a certain point), but as the seasons went on they seem to fail more (For example one of the season finales in Atlantis, maybe 4 or 5) was really badly written and the CG was crap, to be nice to it...

But I'm a proper fan so don't let my purist views put you off :p

14. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

SG1 rocks. Don't be in a rush to watch Atlantis. I did and loved it for the most part, but it's more hit and miss than SG1.

Universe is a separate proposition and should be viewed as such.

15. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

That motivational is from possibly the BEST stargate episode ever... (S04E06 iirc?)

But there's several ways to do it really, I watched all of SG1, then watched universe cause I'd decided I hated atlantis... Then me and my girlfriend sat down and just started watching our way through it and thoroughly enjoyed it... Not as much crossover as I'd have liked but it's worth watching in one go, then going back from SG1 S08 and watching them as they were meant to be, slotting in the films where relevant.

It's a little bit sad but I think over all it would be worth it, especially as everything starts to develop more in season eight and you notice more of the little crossover references, it gives the whole thing a greater dimension.

16. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Thank you, everybody! You've all been more than a help.

I think my plan is to start buying Atlantis now (make sure I have it all before I start watching it - a mistake I made with X-Files, only managing to get to season three before I forgot to buy four, and lost interest over time), and then watch SG1 and Atlantis side-by-side (s08e01 SG1 followed by s01e01 Atlantis, then s08e02 SG1 to s01e02 Atlantis, and so on). Obviously taking in films and Universe where they need to be.

And yes, S04E06 - Window of Opportunity was the correct episode Lorquis, which also happens to be the episode that got me interested in the series in the first place (friend showed it to me a few years ago, and I loved it, but only recently decided that I had the spare cash to buy the entire series, and the time to devote to it).

Just as an aside: how many movies are there? I only know of the one...

17. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

There are three that I know of. Stargate (which is before s01e01), The Ark of Truth (which apparently ends the Ori story arc), and Continuum. I don't have any idea where the last two fall season wise, but I'd like to know too.

18. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

There are three. The first one that came out years and years ago. And two recent ones. Arc of Truth and Continuum.
    I didn't like arc of truth. I remember reading something from a producer that they wanted to draw out scenes. Put in more depth. But I loved Stargate for the speed of the show. I found the movie to be longer than it needed to be.
    I did like Continuum. Was different, but good. Better than Arc of Truth.

The movie that started it all:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111282/

They come after SG1 ends. They tie up "loose ends".

19. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Can't quite remember where ark of truth fits in exactly, but I'm pretty sure Continuum Fits in with somewhere in a couple episodes into Season 4 of SGA, as Sam Carter makes a glib remark about Baal when going back to the SGC...

20. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Window of Opportunity, and yes, definatele one of my top 5, the rest of the potentials being:

(i) The Lost City I and II (This, imo, the best sci-fi tv series episode ever made!)
    (ii) The fifth Race
    (iii) Window of opportunity
    (iv) Shades of grey

and then I cant decide for my fifth, but I really really enjoyed "A Hundred Days", so maybe that.

You must watch "the lost city" before you start atlantis, this is critical information!!!!! :)