Rant I am fed up with the live messenger bots and worms

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 11 Feb 2010.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I just can't stand it anymore ! Way too often now do I get these random "hotmail users" adding me or actual friends whose computers send messages to people saying "hey I just saw your pictures bla bla bla check mine there http://www.whatevercraptheycanthinkof.com". This is incredibly annoying and yet, somehow, some of my friends who speak french only still get caught by these stupid things...

Here's what I got the last time I signed on

[​IMG]

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

omfg I just rebooted and there were 3 new bots adding me when I logged back on

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sounds like you need to change your live login address - that one is obviously on a list somewhere. :)

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

well it is over 10 years old so I guess it's normal

it still sucks though

5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I get this crap on my Blackberry. Ive got two people asking me to add them but ive no idea who they are. i don't even use MSN anymore.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I find regular pruning of my MSN contact list works well >.>

7. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I've never had any problems like that with my Windows Live ID. Maybe it's because I use my gmail.com email address as my Live ID, or maybe it's my privacy settings. I checked the privacy setting "Only people on my Allow list can see my status and send me messages". No spam, ever.

8. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I've been getting the same thing recently, and I've had this address SOOOOO long that I really don't want to change now.

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

yep, same here..

I got a gmail a few months ago and I am starting to use it more regularly but I don't want to make a complete switch and then end up having the same problem

10. October

October Mariachi Style

I stopped using my Hotmail account about a year ago in favour of my Gmail, too much spam in my Hotmail and not enough compunction to clean it out when Gmail's sooo much better.

I've not really missed messenger at all, Facebook does the needful every now and again. Other than that I see most of the people in the world that I actually talk to a few times a week anyway :D

My advise, start a new account (with either really) and just give it to the people you need to. Keep the old one for newsletters etc, non-essential mail. That way if your address is sold/misplaced/etc it's not affecting your own personal mail account.

Edit:
    Pretty sure you won't, unless you sign up for loads of stuff with the new account. I get one or two spam mails in my Gmail a week (straight into the junk box), compared to the hundreds in my old Hotmail.

11. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Me and a friend did a little experiment a while ago, I had a small piece dodgy sofware it had trojan in it .
    Between me and my friend we had around 5 different email acc by different email providers gmail / o2 / bt / tiscali / hotmail.
    Gmail was the best would'nt send or receive it, Interestingly hotmail was the only one that would both send and receive it which is a bit of worry , I dont use hotmail at all now.

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

8 new bots added me at log on today !

damn it !

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i dumped messenger when I moved to vista and noticed they stripped the lite version that came with XP.

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I think I made my current email-account in the elementary school, which would mean it's ~10 years old. I do NOT feel like changing it and feel your pain. Anyway you getting so much of those kinda means your MSN-buddies suck :D I get one friend invite every now and then, but haven't had a spam-message from a MSN-buddy in years.

15. knuck

knuck Hate your face

yeah most of them do suck computer wise ...

16. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Mines about 8 years old and I get about 2 invites a day. Can't really prune my contacts because I genuinely speak to everyone on there and like to keep in touch. I guess all you can do is completely block them and report them as a spammer.

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

My school email, the_flying_pimp, is long defunct, because I stopped using them for email when I signed up for my gmail account. Which, incidentally, became my MSN address. Although, that got changed to my personal domain, but the .co.uk version rather than the .com it now is.

TFP would have been over a decade old by now, if I kept it :(

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

and now it minimizes TF2 when I play !

that's the last draw, god damnit !

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

for the record, I did change my msn address but this is not why I am bumping this thread. I found a little app called Digsby. For those of you wondering what it is, it's just another IM client that supports all of the big services (aol, msn, yahoo, facebook, twitter). It's light and quite customizable. Give it a shot if you're tired of the huge and heavy live messenger

20. mjg132

mjg132 What's a Dremel?

My Sky ISP account was hacked by this.
    They even told me that it violated the terms and conditions of my account ,and that in a following phone call i was aware of the problem.
    Thing is,i never did answer the phone,no one else did in the house, and then Sky told me that we must have because they knew our Sky account password.I think the hackers must have therefore placed a password on their system and continued to use my email account to spread the virus/scam.