News Ubisoft's DRM servers go down, games unplayable

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Mar 2010.

1. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

"HAHA"

2. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

exactly, these companies will put their games on platforms other than the PC where the users are stupid enough to spend 45 quid on a game!

history has shown that if you are reasonable with your DRM, or reasonable with your prices (in both cases steam, but there are others), people will prefer to buy the game not pirate it. Valve themselves have said that the total revenue gained from a steam sale (for a given time period) is several times more than the normal revenue for that product.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

games will be pirated on any platform, so if what you say happenend there would be no new releases

some people just wont pay for stuff, nothing you can do about it, its life, much as the software writers try, they will never be able to stop pirating, and with more and more tools available to pirates, its not getting harder for them to copy the games.

they should make them cheaper for end users, and hopefully, more will buy the software, but there will still be those who wont pay.

4. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Well I purchased AS2, and I am rather enjoying it, when the damn server is up that is.

As said it's the legit customers who are getting hosed. Simple fix, get the crack online.

5. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

I know lets put DRM in for paying customers, as our way of saying thanks ???

6. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

This is exactly why I never bought assassin's creed 2 on PC, oh well if I ever do buy any ubisoft games on the PC again I'll only end up cracking them.

7. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

You really really really really need to mark that page as NSFW. The gif itself is fine, what surrounds it is not.

8. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I have AC2, and am very much enjoying it, apart from half an hour yesterday when the servers were down. Other than that, flawless experience :thumb:

9. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

well, last night at 11pm (GMT) it worked absolutely fine and loaded first time straight away. Now, however, it's been 15minutes so far and it's still on "Logging in". The Launcher updated itself before trying to log in, so I blame that, unless there's a second DDoS aftermath...

10. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

And another one bites the dust in the face of piracy. Ahhhhhh.

11. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

Looks like those are two games off my list :)

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

http://torrentfreak.com/ubisofts-uber-drm-cracked-within-a-day-100304/

edit: and there is more, the US release of Assassins Creed is this coming Tuesday.....

Last edited: 8 Mar 2010
  13. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Not quite for me. Two games added to my "pirate and see if I like, then delete" games.

14. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

+1. I was wondering what alternatives there are to Steam that are nonpartisan, or don't charge to host games (because there will be a few studios that won't release on Steam because they don't want to pay the fees or support Valve, their rivals). We really need a kind of universal DRM that all the studios sign up to (something like Steam) that everybody can get along with, that way we'd be less likely to get retarded s*** like this. Seems to me it would also be a useful system for putting people in contact with dedicated servers etc.

:duh:

We need a full-blown facepalm smiley for you, the forehead-smiting just doesn't cut it in your case. When will console makers learn there's no honour amongst thieves? You're deluding yourself if you think consolites are any less guilty than PC players; worse, since console gamers get so ruthlessly shafted on the price of their games, the studios are even more incentivised to crack down on console pirates... If the studios want to stop piracy, they need to simultaneously make it harder to steal the game and more attractive to buy it. Steam, which is a mostly unintrusive and helpful DRM system also softens the blow by offering endless redownloads free of charge and automatic patching, in addition to greatly reduced prices. It's a pretty good example of what good DRM can be.

15. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

I hope they get hit badly by a class action suit or something like that for this.

16. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

Sorry dude, but I have to object. New titles usually are significantly more expensive on Steam than their DVD counterparts you can get from the shelves, at least here. Whoever is responsible for the pricing policy on Steam is a blatant example of unbridled greed.

17. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

You missed the point.

The fact that you have to wait 15min - 10hrs to log-in to a SINGLE PLAYER GAME is in and of itself assanine.

Everything else has been said by everyone else.

18. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Uh, I meant the sales - the people that set Steam's prices are the publishers, not Valve.

19. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

:duh:

One of the reasons prices are high in games or any other industry with this kind of rampant problem...is theft! The PC side of the hobby is costing developers, publishers, and on the bottom end "gamers" more. You have to be some kinda dumba$$ to believe otherwise! And you do of course. The simple solution is to stop putting your multi-million dollar, high profile, AAA, "console game" on the PC so it can be stolen. The same retards that will spend $500 on a DX10 video card that can't play DX10 games or even do AA for that matter, are stealing $50 games! There is no excuse for this, so quit trying to make them. There was nothing wrong with Assassin's Creed 2, it "is" a AAA (console) title on to the PC! If it's not your cup of tea then don't play it, leave it alone. Why steal a game that you don't like? The console makers are the only ones fighting back against these idiots with mass bannings, high fines, and jail time! The effect is clear, there is waaay less piracy on the console as opposed to the PC! The games are better, the online play experience is better, and you know that you're getting a better play experience overall. There is nothing more frustrating (maybe that the game doesn't work) then playing one of your favorite games, only to find out that it's been hacked into by a bunch of #$^&$! So, don't publish on the PC. That is the most effective, non-intrusive, DRM ever created, and everybody wins! The developers make more money on consoles anyway, and the player has a better enviroment to play in, and you're stamping out one of the greatest scourges in gaming .

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

:worried:

Does he have schizophrenia?

Apparently everybody means 1/2 of the gaming population right? :p

Tags: Add Tags