1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs First Look: Danamics Liquid Metal CPU Cooler

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Mar 2010.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Fixed, thanks

2. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

That is insane!
    How many watts does it draw, if it draws too many the heat dissipitation of the power supply for it will surely raise the ambient temperature and negate the cooling effect?
    And surely it is if anything more dangerous than water cooling, at least if the water cooling loop goes when the PC's off there's a chance of something surviving.

3. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

i want one now. . . .

also, the magnets themselves will not be a serious issue, it is the changing magnetic field that may cause problems. i would assume it is running at a very low frequency though, so i doubt it will cause any issues. static magnetic fields only really cause problems for unshielded magnetic storage media and crt monitors. moving magnetic fields can cause issue with any electronics, but only if they induce enough current to interfere with the signal or burn out components. i doubt this thing does either.

4. CharlO

CharlO What's a Dremel?

I wonder if I can take a few in a plane and get them to get futurama back before june. (Yep, the fact that they are coming back is a lack of respect to the joke)

5. dec

dec [blank space]

I think the base is that big to make sure the liquid doesnt leak out when someone tries to lap it......as im sure SOMEONE will.

Anyways I dont think ive been more terrified of a cpu cooler.

6. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Well I personally thing this is an understatement. Sodium and Potassium react with everything and very fast. Therefore, the sweat of your hands should be enough, not to mention that you can't touch them with bare hands (they are corrosive). Should a leak occur, it'll damage everything it touches.
    And on top of this, if a fire starts you can't put it out with water, as the water will make things even worse.

Now I wonder how this thing will get to be sold to the general public. :eeek:

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If I had the spare cash, I'd buy one for testing.

And to say my PC was cooled by liquid metal.

8. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I only ask for a proper review, maybe some in-depth video "behind the scenes+review" and a "Oh F**ck, Jesus Christ, Holy S**t, we've burnt our employer! Well... I guess the parliament could have a taste of this" (that's for the Bill on copyright material)

9. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

I can't see this ending well... NaK is corrosive and highly reactive and it's contained in heat pipes? Sure the company woould have thought of that.

But still, considering that even small amounts are an explosion hazard, they'll need to sell this with a mandatory safety training included or something. Maybe they could sell it in a bundle with a fire extinguisher included.

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

probably look to the performance of any of the peltier's that didn't do so well.. how is this going to be any better.. looks like cyber already tested it

11. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

Having seen what a small block of sodium does in water during senior chemistry, and that this has both sodium and potassium, I can't decide if I want one of these coolers or to stay as far away as possible

12. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

One sentence from "Back to the future" comes to mind: "You're telling me this sucker is nuclear?"

13. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

I'd hate to write the health & safety for this if I wanted to bring it into school o.0.

I know how long it takes to write 'normal' experiment health and safety!

14. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Aaaaaah liquid metal...I love it..I have it running through my veins

15. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I don't know if I'm remembering correctly (it's over 20 years back) but isn't NaK a combination with a tendency to go bang with sufficient energy input, including kinetic? If I am remembering rightly then FFS don't drop the sucker!

Delivery could be interesting too - something of a learning experience for the couriers and education that the "handle with care" label is occasionally for their own benefit!

16. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

It'd be funny to see the insurance claim.

17. equinox

equinox What is mod?

I can see this becoming a tool for those of few scruples who don't mind losing a foot in exchange for a big insurance/lawsuit payout.

18. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

The difference between elements and solution alloys is an important one too.

Pure elemental Na/K are cheese-like solids, for a start.

19. dec

dec [blank space]

anyone else think of terminator 2 when they think of liquid metal?

20. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Superlegerra just means 'ultra light' in Italian, Lamborghini uses it on special lightweight versions of the cars. Dunno why they would call this beat superleggera though, given the comparison to the CM V10..

Tags: Add Tags