1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot 9600GSO

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by StreetSam, 31 Mar 2010.

1. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Hi All,

I need some suggestions, I have a 9600GSO that I can't keep cool.
    First off let me say that all my quoted temps will be quite high as the room has nine computers running in it, and even with the window open it is almost too hot to be in the room for any length of time. Yes I am mad :sigh:

The computer is my normal set up of an EVGA 680 SLi mobo with 3 9600GSOs and a Q6600. The case is a Silverstone TJ09 (in this case, pun intended) The inside fan (if you know the case) is pulling the hot air from the front of the cards out the sides of the case. There is a fan on the side blowing air over the side of the cards. The CPU is water-cooled by a 240mm rad in the roof, the water block is a Swiftech GTZ. The top two cards are running my expected temps of 70-85degC, (at 70% fan speed) however the bottom one won't run for any length of time with out shutting down (at about 115degC) even on 100% fan speed. I've tried two cards and I've even remounted the cooler with Ceramique. (Which slowed down the temp increase) I have five other machines with the same layout, but in either Antec 300s or Lian Li 7 Plus' without the water cooling, and they have no trouble with the bottom card. I'm stumped, anyone got any ideas? I thought about the PSU postion but the Antec 300s have the PSU at the bottom as well.

Even at idle it is now sitting at 74degC.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2010
  2. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Dodgy heat sink base? Might be enough to not cool it effectively. Is the heat sink actually getting that hot? If worse comes to worst maybe you will need to add it to the water cooling loop

3. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Was gonna suggest something like this too. I've experienced first hand how much a difference mounting a heatsink and getting your thermal paste spread correctly can make so it might be worth re-mounting it again and giving it another go.

115c for load definately seems like there isnt ideal contact as opposed to simply high ambient temps. Good luck.

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

My 9600 GSO's are bloody hot and noisy too. They used to idle at 60+ degrees C and at load were close to 90C.

5. Vaio

Vaio What's a Dremel?

anyone tried a Vortexx Neo on a 9600 GSO ?

6. sonic_vortex

sonic_vortex What's a Dremel?

Yep, I've got two 9600GSO's, both with Akasa Vortex Neo's on. They're bloody good, vent hot air outside the case. One is currently at 75c, the other's at 84c both at full load. (not sure why they're different temps). Although I think they're due for a de-dusting soon!!!

7. Vaio

Vaio What's a Dremel?

Thanks for that. I am going to try and remember to order 3 tomorrow and get them fitted to the 9600 GSO and my 2 8800 GS cards.