1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project WAVE 2.0 Redesigned 2011; Update 10; 10 May 2011

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vaptor-x, 28 Feb 2010.

1. bagman

bagman Minimodder

cool design and good start can't wait to see more

2. DRC™

DRC™ What's a Dremel?

Looking good so far, keep up the good work.

Finished product will be interesting to see. :thumb:

3. Vaptor-x

Vaptor-x What's a Dremel?

4. DatenThielt

DatenThielt What's a Dremel?

This looks like is going to be a great one, I love moving parts. Just a quick question. Where will you order your gas shock absorber for the top opening hatch. I had a look a while back for some but the ones I found were very expensive.

5. Vaptor-x

The gas shock absorber is not easy to find, but i have found a Danish company, that sells to private people... The cost is also 70 euro for a complete one plus freight :waah:
    But they have them both in stainless steal and black color, in many different sizes, my biggest problem was to find a electromagnet in a proper size, to hold the top down... They are both going to some of the last parts that i am going to order, as money don't grow on trees :worried:

Last edited: 14 Mar 2010
  6. DatenThielt

DatenThielt What's a Dremel?

7. Vaptor-x

The gas shock absorber that i am going to use, is a small one, the rod is only 6mm and the body 15mm, because of the limit space that i have to work with :)
    The opening mechanism that I was thinking of at first, was also push and click devise, like the i/o panel opening there is in the cabinet, but due to layout of the cabinet this was not possible with the top plate, but i think a electric push button will look coll :jawdrop:

8. Vaptor-x

This update is from my Version 1.0, I am keeping it, so that you can see some of my previous work.

Added 08 Feb 2011 " What I made in this update, is the reason for my version 2.0 of the Wave. The front simply don't look good enough. Don't now what I was thinking of, when I made this crap. :wallbash:

Finally it has become time for another update :thumb:

A little test mounting, to see how it looks, think this is going to look great, when I am done :thumb:

[​IMG]

A look at the front :)

[​IMG]

A look at the final mounting of the front, i still need to polish the acrylic plate, and glue it in place, so as of now it is just mounted loose in to the front.

[​IMG]

If you were wondring how the two fans, will get fresh air, I reused the original filter in the bottom of the front, pretty good I must say :naughty:

[​IMG]

This was all for this update, hope to have another one ready late sonday :hip:

Sponsor on the WAVE project :naughty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Mar 2011
  9. Vaptor-x

I am glad to announce, that Aquatuning and Phobya are sponsoring some parts for my mod:clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would like to thank them for their support :thumb:

10. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Need more from the wave!!

11. Vaptor-x

Will have an update ready for tomorrow, got delayed because i broke the part i had made during the weekend :wallbash:

12. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

quality, looking forward too it mate

13. Vaptor-x

This update is from my Version 1.0, I am keeping it, so that you can see some of my previous work.

Update 12

Better late then never ;)

In this update I will be working on the bottom plate, I quickly found out, that my original idea, of mounting a polished aluminum plate above the PSU, wouldn't look that great, when the MB tray also was going to aluminum, so i changed the design a little, to make it more unique :hip:

So i decided to make the bottom plate in clear acrylic, so that your able to see all the details below the bottom plate, well most of them, all the cables will still be hidden, an to hide them, there will be mounted a white acrylic plate below the clear acrylic in the PSU area, I still have a secret plan for the whit acrylic, but I will show that later in the project :thumb:

First I will make the clear acrylic plate, I will use a standard saw, to saw the plate in to the correct length.

[​IMG]

After i got it in to the correct length, i measured up all the little cuts that are needed to make it fit the cabinet. :dremel:

[​IMG]

Here all the little cuts are made, and I am ready to make a bend in the plate, thereby I will create a window for the GTS140, so that i is visible :D

[​IMG]

Now for the bending of the acrylic plate, for that I will use a sharp edge table again, and my heat gun, to heat up the acrylic, so that it is easy to bend.

[​IMG]

The bend is made, perfect angel after it cooled down :naughty:

[​IMG]

And look at the result, think that this will look cool :clap:

[​IMG]

Now for making the white acrylic plate, first up the plate will be cut in the correct length, then i will masur out where the MB tray will end, and make a cut there, as it there i will run all the cables and hoses there (behind a alu plate, so that it is not visible)

[​IMG]

The cuts are made, and I am ready for the next step.

[​IMG]

I want to mount one of my Laing pumps through the acrylic plate, so another cut is necessary :thumb:

[​IMG]

Now i was ready to test mount the acrylic plate that i had made :clap: But the disaster struck :wallbash: And it is the reason for the delay in my update :duh: Look!

[​IMG]

The reason it broke, was that the space was very limit in the cabinet, and I couldn't get the acrylic plate mounted, because it got stock in the cabinet, and when i tried to remove it, it broke :waah:
    So it was necessary to come up with a new idea, I went with the idea, of making the acrylic plate in two pieces instead of one, the split point would be made where the Laing pump is going to mounted, this way it will almost not be visible :thumb:

[​IMG]

So i made the hole for the Laing pump in the clear acrylic plate, and marked up where the mounting holes would be.

[​IMG]

A test mount of the acrylic plates, this i going to look good in the end :lol:

[​IMG]

And with the Laing pump

[​IMG]

I made some holes for M3 bolts in mt Acrylic plates, and some threaded M3 holes in the U-profiles.

[​IMG]

The final mounting, the holes and the acrylic plates lines up perfectly on all the edges :clap:
    Damm good job I must say :hehe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another look from the PSU end :rock:

[​IMG]

Still need to polish all the acrylic, for some scratches that i have made during my work with the acrylic plates. :dremel:

It is beginning to look like a cabinet again, and the end result is beginning to show it self now, but there is still a long way :lol:

Took a picture of the hole cabinet, to see all the work that is made-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

your build rocks! glad you made the update.
    favourite ongoing project here.

keep it up mate.

15. Vaptor-x

Next step will be the MB tray, working on changing the hole thing, so that it don't look like stock in the end:dremel:

16. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Since you showed support over on my log I figured only fair for me to come see what youve been up to :) Really not sure how I missed this.... Loving the craftsmanship that's going into the build and you fret sawing on those waves was :jawdrop:

17. Vaptor-x

Perhaps one day my mod will be in the mod of the month contest :hehe:

I saw Evolution in the mod of the month contest, and i really like the all the work that is going in to the build and the design, is clean, simple and also a little high tech, just my kind of mod :thumb:

18. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

nice save :)

19. el2k

el2k Modder

This mod is coming together so well man. Unreal.

20. Vaptor-x

A kind of Update :eyebrow:

Haven't had the time to make any modding since last update, my job takes up to much time, don't we all feel like that :rolleyes:

But there was time to buy some Hardware for this project :D

First up a new wireless keyboard and mouse from Logitech the MK710 set :thumb:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also needed a new monitor, I picked up this Brand new Samsung P2470H for half price in a Danish store :jawdrop:

[​IMG]

Think it is a beautiful screen, it even looks better on my desk :naughty:

[​IMG]

And for every new screen you need a new GFX :rock:
    Originally i wanted two ASUS HD5870 carts, but you cant buy them anywhere i Denmark :wallbash:
    So I was very Lucky to find a brand new ASUS HD5970 cart, and saved 110 Euro's on it, thats a deal you only can dream of :clap:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the GFX that beats them all :lol:

[​IMG]

It is the biggest and heaviest GFX I have ever had in my hands :eeek:
    Wonder how I am going to mount it in my temp cabinet (Thermaltake Tsunami)

Got some more time next week, and will begin to build on my project again, so I hope to get a new update ready for Friday :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]