1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals MP3 Player Connection Dropping Out

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bumfluff, 21 Apr 2010.

1. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

I have a Sony Walkman X1060 MP3 Player and when I connect it to my PC it keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting, making it impossible to transfer anything. Any other device such as my phone work absolutely find and my Walkman also connects fine to my laptop.

Yesterday I installed Windows 7 Pro 64bit so I am now running a dual boot with XP Pro 32bit. I was hoping that it was simply a problem with XP on my machine but apparently it is not. My laptop runs XP Pro (which I think is 32bit).

My guess is that it is some conflict between drivers for something on my PC which I do not have on my laptop, however I can't think what that would be.

Spec:
    Intel i5 750
    MSI P55 GD-65 (Realtek HD Audio)
    nVidia GTX260
    4GB G.Skill Ripjaw

I am absolutely stumped as to what it is, I have searched for an answer but can't find a solution or anything specific to my player.

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

you try it in another usb slot/different cable/another computer- could help narrow it down

3. bumfluff

As I say it connects fine to my laptop so it is not the cable nor the device and it doesn't work in other slots in the computer.

4. thehippoz

ah sorry guess skipped over that part.. hmm well it's definitely on the computers end then- just found this thread on google

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42055

last post might have something to it.. the usb port isn't supplying enough power to the device for whatever reason

might want to look at getting a Y splitter for it.. that way it would have 2 ports powering it

5. bumfluff

Thanks thats something I hadn't thought of. I did connect it to my keyboard USB hub and it said there wasn't enough power so it may be that one USB port on my PC is not quite enough, thats a very odd thing to happen though surely? I would have thought that being on such a modern set up I would be OK. Is there any way I can test if this is the case?

With the y splitter is it possible to get one thats male to female as the connector on my Walkman is proprietary?

Cheers

6. Nicho133

Nicho133 What's a Dremel?

How many other USB devices do you have connected to the computer? Try disconnecting all of your other USB devices and only plug your MP3 player in and see if that works.

7. bumfluff

Keyboard, mouse, printer which isn't switched on and currently a pen drive...

8. thehippoz

9. bumfluff

I unplugged everything and plugged in my Walkman at the back panel and it seems to work in the port my keyboard was in and it doesn't seem to drop out with everything else connected, although I have turned off my backlight. Thanks guys...