Networks Slow Internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zabuza, 3 May 2010.

1. Zabuza

Zabuza What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

I recently moved my computer back home and it's in my room.

Ever since I have experienced very slow internet speeds, I use this wireless adapter:

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=378014

I have used my laptop in my bedroom and it was fast as ever.

The computer downstairs is fairly fast too.

I tried using the wireless adapter from downstairs but it didn't even pick up the router in the house from my bedroom!

Internet is agonisingly slow and cuts off regularly. My ping in BFBC2 is around 500, it's impossible to play.

At uni' I used an ethernet cable but it isn't possible here.

Any ideas?

2. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

wireless can always be a bit iffy, I'd use a cable wherever possible. You could also try powerline adapters if you don't want cables trailing around the house.

3. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

4. Zabuza

Zabuza What's a Dremel?

It's so inconsistent in its speed now! Mostly dead slow though.

Hahaha, the can thing looks good but not really a long term solution I feel.

5. acsnet83

acsnet83 woopa

Off topic but hello fellow york citizen :)

6. Yslen

So hold on, your laptop from the same location has great wireless signal and fast internet? What happens if you install the wireless adapter on the laptop and use that instead of the internal aerial? That way you will find out if its some problem with your other machine or with the adapter itself.

7. Yslen

HAHA i'm clearly extremely tired. I read it as "hello yellow fork citizen".

8. Zabuza

Zabuza What's a Dremel?

Hi acsnet83!

Yeah, I'll give that a go Yslen and report back.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What wireless adapter are you using in the PC now? I'd recommend one with an aerial socket, then get a high-gain aerial from eBay for better reception.

10. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

download something like net stumbler and have a look what channels are being used in your area then get into the router and change the wireless channel to one thats not being used or has very few people on it, you'll find less interference and much better speeds

11. Cosmot

Cosmot What's a Dremel?

May be you have to change a good rounter, or else use wired cable.

12. Zabuza

Zabuza What's a Dremel?

I linked the wireless adapter I use in my first post.

It's not the adapter because it worked fine in my laptop.

Will try the other suggestions, thanks.

13. Zabuza

Zabuza What's a Dremel?

Okay guys,

I have an ADSL filter coming from the phone socket in another room.

The phone line goes to a phone, the other is not used.

To use this other socket on the filter I use an ADSL cable, right?

Does this ADSL cable then have to be put through a modem then to my computer through a USB?

14. Ramzie

Ramzie What's a Dremel?

I'd love to hear some more suggestions here. I've got an ASUS PCE-N13 and it's having the same problem. Laptop right next to my desktop gets fine reception speed and the wireless card on the PCE-N13 has more antennas and should be faster! Are there property settings I should optimize? Anything has to be better than what it's currently at...

15. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

Yes Zabuza, that is how they connect. Make sure that all the phones in the house have a filter on them as well.

16. Ramzie

Ramzie What's a Dremel?

Another thought. What router do you have, Zabuzza? I'm beginning to wonder if my internet is slower than it could be because it's an N pci-e adapter card running off an old Linksys a/b/g router (the one EVERYONE has) and whether my signal could be boosted by upgrading to a newer N router.

Does anyone have any insights to whether this would help here?

Thanks,
    Ramzie

17. Zabuza

Zabuza What's a Dremel?

I think you're better off starting your own thread, man.

18. Ramzie

Ramzie What's a Dremel?

Ahh, sorry man. Didn't mean to cramp yours.

Just wondering. Your adapter is a/b/g draft n right? What type of router are you connecting to? Basically, I'm wondering if your not using the n connection if it would be stronger/faster if you were.

Ramzie

19. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Try an incremental process of elimination.

Follow bulldogjeff's advice, and use Netstumbler to check the traffic across the different Wireless channels. If the channel you are using on the router is 'noisy', look for the channel with the lowest ratio of noise. It is highly reccomended that you only set the router to channel 1, 7, or 13 as this allows enough space so there isn't any overlap from other channels. Noise can come from all manners of radio devices, and microwaves not just other networks, you may actually be suprised by the sources of interference. I would run netstumbler for a while, to get an accurate representation of your Wifi surroundings.

Also what signal strength are you gettin downstairs? It could be a case of interference from the signal trying to get through walls, which would mean either repositioning the router in a more central location, or possibly upgrading the firmware and upping the transmit power.

I also agree with Krikkit's advice, and get a Wifi Card which allows you to interchange aerials. A PCI card will also run faster I believe, as most USB devices can cause a bottleneck on a WiFi network, although I am unsure of speeds with the new 802.11n dongles.

Upgrading router will certainly help with speed, dependent on your ISP connection. Throughput on 802.11a/b/g can roughly be about 30Meg, dependent on factors, but throughput with Wireless N is around 100Meg plus (Bandwidth is 300, but it scales again based on factors). Do note that you will only achieve these speeds as long as all devices are Wireless N, otherwise it will limit the speeds to a/b/g. Even if this is the case, a 802.11n router uses what's called Multiple-in Multiple-out (MIMO), which will give you more network coverage.

Obviously buying a new router can be a big cost incur dependent on budgets, so I would reccomend doing it in the order laid out above, and if buying a PCI card make sure it is 802.11n.