Other Will Citylink deliver properly? (your experience)

Discussion in 'General' started by joseph2000, 3 May 2010.

1. Gareth24

Gareth24 Folding = vdubs

+1

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I've allways found citylink to be the best, Only once have they let me down and that was when we had all that snow this year.

3. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Absolutely.

CityLink here are great, it's been the same drivers for years and they're really friendly (we also always get the green and yellow vans, not blank white ones which seems to make a difference). Some people might say that's not important, but it means I trust them more than a delivery driver who was aggressive, rude, obnoxious...

Oh that would be my local DHL driver then. Who didn't ring the doorbell so I didn't hear his light tap on the door. So when I heard a door slam and a vehicle drive off I went downstairs to find the card with his mobile number on it. Rang it, he answered whilst driving with no hands-free. Swore at me for calling him while he was driving and made a big issue about having to drive "all the way back there". He was still leaving my driveway when I phoned him. He then sat down the lane for about 30 minutes before coming back to make it look like he was a long way away. Then he told me he'd rung the doorbell countless times, yet when he tried to prove it to me he was looking on the wrong side of the door for the bell. We exchanged rude words and I slammed the door in his face. It did make me feel better... Ever since then he makes a point of ringing our bell loads. He probably thinks it's annoying, but I prefer to get my post so it doesn't bother me.

Then there's parcelfarce, around here they don't even bother to turn up or leave a card :sigh:

4. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Not had problems with city link here.

Even on first term names with our courier, Poor chap had to return 5 Dell 27" monitors.

5. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Agreed with "It depends" but for the record, in the 8 years I've lived here I had no problems with Citylink at all, within the first few orders I put my mobile phone number on the order and the driver sometimes rang for directions, I directed them to my place, end of problem. When my PSU was DOA they were sent back out to do the return and it was even quicker than the first delivery - and this was Ebuyer.

THEN Ebuyer changed to UPS with no option to specify a morning slot, so my orders are forever delivered last thing in the day, which is fine if you have a day off with nothing else to do, otherwise forget it and I no longer shop with Ebuyer as a result - even big bad Royal Mail Special Delivery would have got my RAM here by 1pm rather than the end of the day. It's Ebuyer's choice to lose my business as their prices aren't all that special.

My experience with Royal Mail/Parcelforce is that problems are rare but when they happen it's on the nuke disaster scale. I've just had three other red cards apart from mine, torn in two and thrown into my rubbish bin because the postie squeezed the packages through the letterbox. Yet again a postie thinking he's doing customers a favour, but a trip to my delivery office is preferable to being exposed to ID theft with names and addresses along my street hitting landfill. So when it's time to order my next DVD box set I'll travel to a branch of HMV or a supermarket, I can't trust RM with anything big anymore if I'm going to be at work.

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

City Link have been pretty good with us.

7. Neox010

Neox010 EvE Addict

I have used Citylink for quite a while where I used to live, and always had them very helpful and consistent in the times for their arival.

8. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Yup - same here - CityLink to birmingham - obnoxious, rude, and slightly threatening (when told I wasn't going to sign for a hard drive delivered in packaging so badly damaged I could see the word "samsung" on the disk itself...)

CityLink here however are epic... not quite on first name terms with the driver, but stuff always gets here...

RwD

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

CityLink around Lichfield are great guys. Never had a single issue with any, infact, I've had some insist that I sign for something as damaged because there's a scuff on the box.

10. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Citylink and DHL have both been brilliant for me, guess im kinda lucky. Citylink always deliver my gear i order from aria within a day or two, been a while since i used them for anything but thats how it used to be. I bought a new guitar a few years back from thomann, ibanez 1820x, in less less than 48 hours it was on my doorstep from Germany, cant ask for better than that!

11. CopperX

CopperX IT Support BOFH @ a Uni.

I've had good experiences with CityLink so far, even though most of the stuff I order is usually delivered in the LinkLetter cardboard packages. The last order I had from scan did have a hole in the cardboard but nothing was broke or missing so didn't worry me too much.

I have no issues with the delivery service since I live in Uni halls and the reception here sign for all packages, any time day or night which is a godsend tbh.

Not had experience with the likes of FedEx, DHL or HDN. But I know I won't be posting sensitive documents via Royal Mail again, registered & signed for or not!

12. TechiSimon

TechiSimon What's a Dremel?

Get the lazy solution like me!

I just take the delivery without getting out of bed, or needing to wait in at home. You've got to be sending or recieving a lot of deliveries to justify one of these, but it's genius. Check it out - ParcelPal

13. omicron

omicron Baud.

That thing is a great idea, but it rings you after 6 seconds(!), most couriers don't stick around that long!
    Also, most of them require a signature as proof of you accepting the delivery and will not otherwise leave the parcel with you...

No, what we really need is some kind of robotic door answerer with handwriting capabilities.
    Hmm....:dremel:

EDIT: Ooh, I didn't notice it was a spammer from parcelpal!

14. Valver

Valver I’m an AquaTuning product tester

I rate City Link very highly - their driver i local and recognises me.

Royal Fail - not so keen on.

15. woods

woods What's a Dremel?

I have only had one experience with them about a month ago, they didn't arrive on the day they were supposed to, the next morning I was on my way to the phone box to phone them and see their van in the next street to mine, I asked the driver if he had a delivery onboard and was so relieved when he said yes. I pointed out a short cut to my house but he just span off in other direction. For a minute I thought he was worried I was going to rob him or something, but 15 mins later he showed up at the back of my block, with my brand new computer.

And all the anger of waiting in all day the day before disappeared as I booted up my rig and installed Crysis.

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

All that needed to be said has been said, but here's my two cents anyway.

From working locally for so long, and receiving deliveries from DHL, City-Link, Parcelforce, Fed-Ex and even the dreaded RM themselves, I've gotten to know most of the drivers pretty well. The ones that matter (DHL, Fed-Ex and City Link) all know me very well and vice versa. All decent blokes, with plenty of common sense and willing to deliver to any one of three alternate addresses locally if I'm not in to sign for the package (both my parents' workplaces and a place I used to work). Should all that fail, they have my mobile number and will call me to ask whether it's urgent and if it is, where to leave it for me. I can also collect from the Fed-Ex drivers house if necessary, and have done on a couple of occasions. I never realy have any problems with deliverys other than Royal Mail, who in my area are totally and utterly hopeless.

As others have said, it depends on the local staff. I'm very fortunate but YMMV.

17. GandalfDDUK

GandalfDDUK What's a Dremel?

Its hard to say but shouldn't really judge a whole company on the grounds of the drivers, every company has its bad employees which let the company down, yes they should be got rid of, but a lot of other factors are also involved, depending on the area of the country and time of year any one driver can have between 60 and 100 deliveries (addresses to deliver to not number of parcels) and have a huge area to cover, often including little villages, you then have timed deliveries which can then be scattered all over the delivery area of the driver, which can result with the driver going from one side of his area to the other and then back again to make the various paid for timed deliveries, this then becomes harder when you may have 10 deliveries to make all by 9.00 scattered all over your route along with all your other drops to do enroute to the timed deliveries, whilst all this is going on you will also have collections to make, mainly from businesses but also from homes that state a collection must be made at a certain time. So what tends to happen is that whilst passing a certain address the driver may only knock once and shove a card through with the intention of calling back later, which then may go tits up later on in the day when he gets held up at collections and other deliveries, should you get a card through the best thing to do is request the depot to send back the driver that same day, as more than likely he will pass by your area many times, from past experience as an ex driver it isn't unusual to pass by the same house 6 times in a day or more as you run about like an idiot. If possible try and build up a rapport with a driver as well, that way he/she will get to know what times of the day you will/won't be in ie school runs, and depending on the driver he will know not to call at that time and will try to accomadate an earlier or later delivery, i certainly used to. Bear in mind also that the drivers are under a lot of pressure from the depot themselves to get every drop/collection made before 5:30 and to lift bulky items on their own. there is nothing worse then making a delivery of bulky parcels to a house and having to lift them all by yourself when some can weigh in excess of 25kg.
    Anyway enough of my ranting, other companies will be the same, but a lot of it is down to the drivers, not the company as a whole, there was even drivers like that in the depot I worked at.

18. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

City Link... I would never ever use them, not after what happened when delivering my pc parts. They delivered half the parts to the wrong address and the other half "went missing in transit"

19. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I've always had good experience with city link, normally same guy every time. It's normally through scan when CL come and the driver knows if he has something for me cos he remembers me and if he drives by when im out walkin he'll give me a wave lol.

I can't complain cos i think im normally his first (or 1 time out of 15 last) drop off so i get my stuff by bout 7am.

Only driver we've had that isn't very helpful is home delivery network (i think), don't know if he's still doin my area but he was a bit of a pain, but at least he came on right days.

20. Raptorex

Raptorex What's a Dremel?

Ive never had problem with City Link, ive gotten to know the driver well in my area and he's always delivered when i expected, will always use them.