Cooling Best Fans for Corsair H50 Push/Pull

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ./^\.Ace./^\., 3 May 2010.

?

What Fans are best For Corsair H50 Push/Pull

1. Cooler Master R4

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Noctua NF-P12 Fan

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Noiseblocker M12-P

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  1. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

I have plans to swap out my Cooler Master V8 for a Corsair H50 but I want to take it one step farther and go with the Push/Pull setup.

My options are as fallows:

- Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 120mm Blue LED SickleFlow 2000 RPM (Local store)

- Noctua NF-P12 Fan - 120mm (Farther store)

- Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-P 120mm Ultra Silent PWM Fan - 2000 RPM (Online)

I'm also open to other fan options.
    So far I think I will go with the 2 Cooler Master R4 as they are the easyest for me to get.

*If I don't find a good Push/Pull setup then I will stay with the stock Corsair Push Fan arrangement.

Last edited: 3 May 2010
  2. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Ideally it would probably be either Scythe Gentle Typhoons or Akasa Apaches but out of the ones you listed the Noctua's are pretty decent thought I think they're rather expensive.

Forget the noiseblockers for rad's and the look of the plastic on those cooler master fans put's me off slightly.

3. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

4. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

The Scythe S-flex fans arent too far behind the Typhoons, they use a different bearing so they're slightly louder but if that's not an issue for you then they might be your best bet.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

haven't heard of the first one, noiceblocker isn't the best as far as i know. Noctua is known to be the best in air cooling, so i voted for Noctua

although i am too interested in the best fans for H50, so would you please not dismiss every suggestion straight off the bat.

6. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

+1 for the Scythe Gentle Typhoons

8. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Scythe S-Flex on mine and they work fantastic.

9. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 4 May 2010
  10. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

11. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

not if you're using a 4pin PWM splitter like the one i linked. the blue wire is the PWM control wire, thus the fans will vary their speed. was an absolute swine to find before, but they're becoming a bit easier to find. everyone gets them confused with the 4pin Molex connector when you ask for a 4pin fan splitter cable, you got to make sure you search for PWM.

for example:
    http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p7333_Y-Kabel-4Pin-PWM-auf-2x-4Pin-PWM.html
    http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product...in-to-2x-4Pin-PWM---1x-3Pin-30cm---black.html

hope that helps

12. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Ah sweet, yeah mine is a 4 pin pwm splitter so should be doing it's job then. Cheers for the info

13. boy_lah

boy_lah What's a Dremel?

I'm a low noise fan so I've bought/used Apache, Gentle Typhoon 1450, Nexus Basic (good Yate Loons) & the Sharkoon Silent Eagles 1000 (non-SE version ie no PWM but otherwise same as the "SE").

All of these fans are 'quiet' or non-obtrusive fans and I would group them as such:

Nexus/Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 - on par, I like nexus more as it's whisper quiet. Silent eagle maybe a tiny tad more air but ever slightly noisier. When I want quiet, nexus is better. The 'extra' of the sharkoon not worth the 'extra' noise in my books although build quality Sharkoon wins.

For more ooomph... then it's Apache or GT. Apache has great balance of power/noise. But for all out it's the Gentle Typhoon esp coolers given it's higher static pressure. GT is definitely louder but it's low hum tone means I don't notice it. I only do when I turn off my pc and notice the 'lack of' hum.

So depending on what you want/need. I would recommend Apache or Gentle Tyhoon for your push pull.

The 'tone' of the S-Flex fans draws attention to itself hence no no for me although they're v good fans.

Last edited: 5 May 2010
  14. boy_lah

boy_lah What's a Dremel?

But most importantly, I now don't go mad on fans after various experimentation... I've reach some of the following conclusions (for myself, my situation anyways).

- less is more...having a zillion fans could mean disrupted airflow and not necessarily cooler pc/case. side fans/bottom blowing fans often cause this

- choose between quiet or power. or noise per power. Hence my recommendations above.

- a slightly positive pressure for me works best... ie. more air in that out. So I then to put a tad more 'powerful' fans in the front of case sucking in... then 2-3 quiet/weaker fans pushing air out.

- again, simplicity is key for me - buying 2000RPM fans and a controller is messy... cabling and usage. I prefer buying 1000-1500CPM fans and use it as is.

- finally, as a (very) general rule, 1000RPM is the optimum for quiet fans. 1500 is better power for still low noise. After that, it's noticeable period. But everyone is different. Also the 'tone' of fans is v v impt. GT is great because it's tone is low 'hum...'. Nexus is whisper quiet. Sharkoon is quiet but tone draws attention to itself. Apache is very good alternative to GT although slightly less powerful.

Build quality Apache is best, closely followed by Sharkoon. GT is good. Nexus is 'budget'.

15. AsubstanceD

AsubstanceD What's a Dremel?

+1 on the Scythe Gentle Typhoons, don't know how important the looks are, because I have these hooked up, and noise level and cooling are so impressive.

16. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Akasa Apache, have one on my Coolermaster heatsink and I still don't know what it sounds like, have never heard the thing since I bought it, and my X2 550 averages at about 27-30 C

17. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

I use two of these on my h50 super silent :thumb:

18. zpikez

zpikez mod-pirate

im using the stock h50 fan + nzxt fan that came with my gamma case, both of these are pretty much budget fans and the set up works great so i imagine any higher performance fan will be awesome

Last edited: 6 May 2010
  19. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Not using them on an H50, but I have had both S-Flex E and GT 1850s as case fans. If you are concerned about noise, then you may want to try out the GTs as they give off a strange noise, not a normal fan noise. They also make a whine when they change fan speed. I tried them as they had a higher CFM than the S-Flex's at a given dBA, but then switched back to the S-Flexs because of these weird noises they make. I am going to be selling them off soon as I dislike them so much they are back in their original packaging in the spare room. For me S-Flexs are perfect I currently have 5 of them in my case!

20. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

I used to have 2 Scythe Gentle Typhoons 1450 rpm. They're quite good, but not as good as
    Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000 rpm with a fan controller.

Get yourself a £5 akasa fan controller and hook that up to the Sharkoons 2k rpm. They do have better static pressure, speaking out of experience.