1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Q: Those who own USB 3 equipped motherboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 20 May 2010.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've been talking to case manufacturers who seem to want to put USB 3 ports in the front of their cases with a pass-through cable to the rear I/O. My question is, should you want a new case, is that something you'd actually want?

Would you still want a single port in the back of the case or bringing them both to the front would be more of an advantage?

How much more would you pay for a case with it and without?

Thanks!

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'll want a frontal USB3-connector when/if super fast thumb drives will hit the market. I have a couple of USB3-motherboards around, but no other USB3-devices. Guessing the first device will be an external drive and those IMO are best connected to the rear.

Not going to count the lack of USB3-on-front-panel as con any time soon.

3. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

i would prefer it on the front personally but im not too fussy, be nicer to get some more usb3 devices out tbh

4. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I'd like them both front and back personally. How much more I'd pay I don't know, as I look at the overall features of a case when valuing it. It's difficult for me to put a price on something as specific as USB ports.

Edit: Oh and Richard, PM? ;) hehe.

5. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I'd say the ports on the front would be more important to me, as the biggest use for me would be USB3 flash drives.

6. el2k

el2k Modder

+1
    Exactly what i was going to say...

Plus i don't really like plugging anything in to front USB's etc... makes it look messy >.<

7. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

USB thumbdrives are barely scratching the BW of USB 2.0 as-is, and I'd prefer eSATA for external HDDs. So basically I'd like a USB port on the front which is faster than USB 1.1 and at least one eSATA port :)

I honestly don't know yet when USB 3 will start making sense for me.

8. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Id rather instead of them being on the actual case how about a little breakout box that i could have on my desk with all the usual case ports?

9. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Definetly for having at least 1+ in the front, would be great for when the pen drives start hitting the market :)

10. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

As awesome as having them on the front would be, I'm happy to wait until mp3 players/phones can support the standard whilst offering a decent enough performance advantage over USB 2 - they're the only devices I use that I plug into the front ports that would benefit.

And it's certainly not enough of a draw to push me towards a case upgrade - especially if there's a premium over a non-USB3 case.

11. hyper_somniac

hyper_somniac What's a Dremel?

1 front and 1 back sounds good, wouldnt pay extra for it, but it might be something that sways me one way between 2 similar cases.

12. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_flash_drive

Seems like it'll take a while before you need those USB 3 ports :)

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Fron would be nice, something like the coolermaster CM690 where the ports are in the roof since I keep the case on the floor. My knees also tend to hit the front of the case. My mate has an Antec three hundred case under the desk and I keep knocking the wifi dongel out with my knees when I use it. I use a Dell 2209WA with USB ports built in if they where able to take advantage of USB3 I would be very happy. I feel the perfect solution is something that is desktop level since I keep my case under the desk out of the way. While the ports on the top are easy enough to access, it still involves bending under the keyboard tray thing on my desk (usually till my chest touches my knees) and fiddling in the dark.

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

+1

kinda like the abit 3rd eye had, but give it two or more USB ports and compatibility with any motherboard

15. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

Both Front and Back, I use pen drives to transfer stuff, but the keyboard, mouse and the monitor need to be in the back of the case out of the way. I modified my Lian li case so that the various connectors are at the top of the case to save bending down