Windows Tired of STO + EVE what else exists?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Neox010, 31 May 2010.

1. Neox010

Neox010 EvE Addict

I have played EVE for close to 3years this October, I am bored to tears of it, I don't want a faceless alliance telling me to come to arms or be booted, I want to do my own thing, but CCP seems intent on pushing people out.

As for STO it's got more bugs then a rain forest, and such one sided pvp it's beyond silly, yeah it's being sorted but overall the feel of the game is cheap in my honest opinion, the phsyics of the ships are terrible, and the overall quality feels rushed.

I am obviously into sci-fi type mmo's. Snag is I am at a loss here. What else exists?

:sigh:

2. deadlyavenger

deadlyavenger What's a Dremel?

Have you tried global agenda? It's an FPS/MMO - I've only played it briefly, but a couple of people I know who play it really like it.

Neox010 likes this.
  3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It sounds like you like EVE but you're in a bad corp, definitely worth looking around for a more laid back group that still manages to get stuff done.

Neox010 likes this.
  4. Neox010

Neox010 EvE Addict

The CEO in my corp knows nothing, pouts about and makes out he knows it all when he has it explained.

He is currently missioning on his two accounts. I am outside his mission station in a gankageddon.

You can see what is about to unfold.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Oooooohhhhh, vid it :p

Definitely sounds like a corp problem not a game problem. That's the trouble with MMOs, it could be a fantastic game but playing with the wrong people completely ruins the experience. That's the problem I've had with several of them.

My first time on WoW, I really liked it, but eventually my old guild grated on me, there were some great people in there but the leaders were unhelpful and cared only about themselves.

In Puzzle Pirates, an odd game but incredibly good fun, I had a great crew but they brought in a patch that basically caused every player in the game to solo around for several months and it completely ruined the group based aspect in the game.

In EVE I was in a great small corp but we moved to zero sec and people started to play less and I didn't have anyone to group up with most of the time.

In PotBS I was in a fantastic crew and I loved the game, but unfortunately they were mostly American so our gaming times clashed, if I wanted to play with them it had to be at stupid times for me.

Last edited: 31 May 2010
  6. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Does it have to be an MMO? If you want to get lost in space and doing quests and trading and stuff, I know a great game but it's single player. (It's called "Space Rangers 2"). There is also one called X3: The Threat which you probably heard of. It's fancier looking but I preferred Space Rangers 2 for it's more instant gratification.

Neox010 likes this.
  7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Or X3: Terran Conflict, the latest one.

8. Neox010

Neox010 EvE Addict

I may give X3 a look, that does sound interesting, as for STO I just rolled a Science toon, so far it's much more interesting.

As for EVE my CEO is getting my resignation later today, and I plan to go solo and have some fun up in high sec for a while, few corp ransoms and ninja salvaging.

It's about time I guess I made some fun for myself, I am however going to give both those single player games a look.

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Go pirating in zero sec, if you're quitting anyway you might as well take out some rage on people :p

I know what you meant about STO, I was excited about it when I heard about it just felt really clunky when I played the beta.

I would recommend Pirates of the Burning Sea, it's not the most amazing game in the world and it needs some work (what MMO doesn't though :/) but I found it really fun. Sort of similar to EVE but with pirates, economly completely player run, lots of options to do either PvP or PvE. There's also factional warfare between the 4 factions, you can take over ports and help with that with both PvP and PvE actions.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2010
  10. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

Low sec pirating in eve was some of the best fun I ever had in eve. I remember with the big minmatar bs (tier 3 tech 1.... its been three years since i stopped playing). With the top rack all t2 blasters (or whatever they were called) with mid rack all sensor boosters and lower all sensor boosters as well. There was that many of us the guns very rarely cycled to you and it was insta kill on anything that came though.

Unfortunately the days of taking a t2 frigate and finding a random t1 cruiser in a belt in low sec had died long before i left. That used to be very entertaining used to get quite good fights.

Try applying to someone like INFOD if they are still going. I was a member of them back in curse and I rate their fleet management, shame Damige doesnt play no more (his vids were cool).

The one thing I hated was massive alliance fights with all the lag. Jumping though a gate with 300 alliance members to get titan'd was soo dull especially after it took 3 hours to get there.

11. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

With X3 and it's expansion (Terran something) there is apparently a new patch released very recently called 2.6 or something. And it is meant to be very good. The game has been patched a LOT in the years since it was released but this latest patch seems to have given all kinds of extra bonuses. I am tempted to buy it myself.

--edit--
    I got the name a bit wrong of that X3 game so I looked it up on wiki.

The X3 game was called X3: Reunion. And then at the end of 2008 they released a stand alone expansion called "X³: Terran Conflict". I don't know which one is better but I'm assuming that latest one is the best option. I may get it myself on steam soon.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2010
  12. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I gave up on STO, too. Content just wasn't there, and what was there was really repetitive and boring. Especially ground combat.

Tried City of Heroes? It's not exactly a space MMO, but it's pretty fun, and still easy to find people if you play on the US servers Freedom and Virtue. Not sure about the EU servers...

13. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Anarchy Online might be worth a try, no ships, but it is a sci-fi and has a lot of depth (being an eve player i figure you kind of like depth :p) The basic game is also free, so it's definatly worth a try.

14. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

I'm just getting into EVE myself. Any tips or pointers?

If you do decide to leave it behind I know of a nice guy who would be willing to take any spare ISK off of your hands for you :).

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Getting learning skills done early on will save you a lot of time in the long run, and use EVEMon if you aren't already, it's incredibly useful.

Finding a good corp that can teach you the ropes is also a good idea, there are also a number of "University" corps that are set up by more experienced players that allow new players to join with the intention of teaching them about the game and when you think you're ready you can leave and join a proper corp.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2010