Case Mod - In Progress Project: Green Zone (Silverstone SG05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dembones, 4 Jun 2010.

1. dembones

dembones What's a Dremel?

g'day guys, i wanted to show you fellas the nifty little motherboard ill be using for this build, im quite impressed so far with it

its a DFI LanParty P55-T36

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pretty big box for an ITX motherboard, but comes with some nice stuff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it comes with the motherboard of course, wrapped in an antistatic bag with foam under the board, a users manaual, drivers disk, xfi application disk, a little bag of jumpers, a bag containing headers for the front panel connectors and usb, an IO shield (not pictured, its on my case atm), two black SATA cables and a 4pin molex to SATA adapter cable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the board is an 1156 socket for use with intel i3, i5 and i7 cpus, two DDR3 dimm slots upto 1600mhz with overclocking, 3 SATA 2.0 ports, 1 16x PCI-Express port
    on the back is an array of USB, ESATA, SPDIF, PS2 and HD Audio
    on the board it has a 24pin ATX plug and a 8pin cpu power plug, two fan headers and a digital PWM and two USB 2.0 headers
    from the looks of it, it has 4 phase power, but i could be wrong
    the thing that surprised me the most was that it has a LED post readout, which is very nifty indeed

i dont think ive left anything major out, so far im very impressed with this board, i havnt got a CPU or RAM to test it out but so far so good, very happy

2. dembones

heres a few snaps of the top mesh installed and the side window
    using scotch heavy duty mounting tape, the mesh and window arnt going anywhere, and they look nice, having the u-channel around the edges makes it look really nice too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

up to painting the psu atm, its coming up better than i expected so i should have some pics of that up within the next few days

3. dembones

was a bit bored last night, so while i watched kindergarten cop, i sleeved my front panel wires, i dont understand why silverstone decided to make them this long.... apparently itx boards are huge and need long cables

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

only have a couple more pieces to paint, insignificant pieces

and then its just waiting to have the money to buy the rest of the hardware

4. dembones

i was looking over the case again tonight and noticed a few areas of the paint that werent just right, a bubble here and there, a scratch and a scrap in other places, nothing major
    they werent anywhere that anyone would notice them, but thats just not good enough, so ive decided to sand it all back and paint it again

5. dembones

little update

all panels sanded back, going to grab some more paint tomorrow and start spraying again

put a coat already on the front bezel and its come up even nicer, hope the rest do

6. dembones

another quick little update, finished most of the painting, just a few small things like the G5 mouse, to go
    i think everything has come up a lot better now, especially the green panel

pics shortly
    i bought a new digital camera so the quality of the pics should be a lot higher now

7. dembones

heres how the case looks currently, im quite happy
    i forgot to get a pic of the front bezel but ill put that up a bit later when the mouse is finished

demonstrating the finish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    thanks penguin joe, good work

top panel... mmm green
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the chassis
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thats so far, ill get the other pics up a bit later

basicly the case is done, just have to put the window and mesh back into the top panel

when i put it all together ill get some more photos done but really from here on out its just waiting to be able to afford the cpu, graphics, hard drive, ram and the rest of the watercooling gear (waterblock, pump and fittings)

ill grab the cpu, pump and block next week so i can get the motherboard mounted

cheers

8. dembones

well i feel i should do a proper update, its been a little while

so, the problem right now is i bricked the motherboard doing a bios flash, so i have to see how the RMA goes before i can really finish this

cross fingers, i should have the graphics, ram, hard drive and (depending on rma) ill either get a second motherboard or watercooling gear, next week, i really cant order anything until i hear back from the reseller about the board

but here are some pics

here are a heap of pics of the case before i got the cpu, motherboard, a cheapo graphics card and power supply installed, waiting for the cpu to be put in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hopefully that wasnt too boring to look at

heres the i5 750 cpu

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

what i had been upto while waiting for the cpu

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

decided to paint an old keyboard too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    you can see the finish product in use below

some pics of the system up and running and playing some battlefield 2, using a friends radeon 4770 in it in these pics
    note, this was just to get the system up and running and testing to see if the psu could handle things

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    thats my friend Trent in the pic, nice work trent

like i said before should have the rest of the hardware next week, watercooling might be a different story, i dont know just yet
    but certainly by the end of the next week the system will be fully running with its intended hardware and then ill watercool it the week or two after

cheers