Linux Dell loves Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Software' started by DXR_13KE, 16 Jun 2010.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

click link for list.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&l=en&cs=19

2. 00parrys

00parrys What's a Dremel?

It's great that Dell are shipping Ubuntu. Any way of making the OS more popular can only be a good thing, as in turn hopefully more time will be spent developing it and fixing bugs etc. The sudden rise in popularity of netbooks also must have been good for Linux, prompting people to look into it as a viable alternative to the mainstream.

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'm really glad that I put Ubuntu on a old laptop I got for free rather than paying some guy $90 to put XP on it which I'm sure would have been much slower than Ubuntu. And Ubuntu was free so that's a major plus

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I put it on my Inspiron 1033 and have never looked back

5. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Just a pity that it's not any cheaper than the windows equivelant since you're not paying for an OS

6. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

In the UK, Dell no longer provide Ubuntu on any Laptops or Desktops. But they still advertise it at www.dell.co.uk/ubuntu

This is as recent as yesterday when a local LUG member tried to order a laptop with Ubuntu and was told by several people that Dell no longer provide Ubuntu. However he could buy a Laptop without Windows and they provided a free hardware upgrade at no extra cost.

7. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

They don't advertise it particularly well either;

"UBUNTU is an open source operating system – so is not compatible with Microsoft WINDOWS or any WINDOWS based programs (Microsoft Office, iTunes etc )."

Okay, 50% right. Itunes doesn't work, but Microsoft Office runs absolutely flawlessly on my Ubuntu laptop, and that's just one bunch of programs in a long list of "WINDOWS" based programs that will work.