News AMD posts small loss this quarter

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Jul 2010.

1. pearl.of.wisdom

pearl.of.wisdom montonies

'Scuse me, I must have missed the memo ; there was a time when it wasn'tcool to bash AMD?

2. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

But was such a long time ago now, the years of bad performances just seem to roll into one big cool bash against them.

3. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

but even with Nvidia's "fails" they still manage a pretty decent profit. Something even in it's best earning quarter AMD cannot seem to do!

4. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Is this the kind of loss where depreciation of assets and one-off charges were to blame? or was it an operating loss kind of ....loss.

Lol at the recent upgraders. Enjoy your lack of an upgrade path. Seriously being an ass-hat aside, next year offers some much more exciting things.

5. l00king

l00king What's a Dremel?

6. Xini

Xini Habitual Tinkerer

Hmm the press say buy intel, the market buys intel and shoves it in everything, then people exclaim that AMD are making losses and why don't they just improve things....

Sounds like a fundamental lack of understanding of marketing and how companies makes money. In other words, if no one buys their chips cause everyone says that Intel is better then they have no money to make better chips and even less motivation. Not everyone is motivated by being told their useless.

Besides, I used to have a Q6600 and I researched it and bought an AMD965BE cause at the same performance point Intel were significantly more expensive and any performance difference they were pulling in separate tests seemed inadequate to reason the extra cash (hence how I bought a 5770 for a 24" monitor and yeah it runs everything perfect ta). Personally I spent money on bottle necks rather than headline items.

Anyhow the point being that the press will tell you that Intel chips are faster and all the jive going on about them, what they don't tell you is the perceptible difference if you're not benchmarking the processor. I'd reckon that the actual end user difference is a whole lot less than people make out.

7. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

So they make a ton of money from great sales and immediately invest it in developing future products and restructuring the company to make it more efficient... how's that a bad thing? If they'd sat on their behinds and watched the money come in they'd have made a profit, but what they've done is far more sensible.

Tags: Add Tags