Graphics GTX 460 Opinions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mkb, 1 Aug 2010.

1. mkb

mkb Minimodder

btw, since I OC'd the cards in MSI Afterburner, will the OC remain if I didn't set the clocks back to default or are the settings only stored on my client?

2. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Unless you modified the firmware of the card, the OC settings are applied by software and won't affect the cards themselves.

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Bought a Palit GTX 460 Sonic and was very impressed how far this card can overclock. Saying that, contrary to the reviews that feature the 'Platinum' version of this card the simple 'Sonic' edition has a very poor aluminium heatsink. No heatpipes to speak of! So under load the fan is working over time to maintain temperatures which reach 80 with the fan speed hitting 90! This is whilst running furmark mind you, but still, even whilst playing games the noise from the fan is unbearable. Consider I'm playing Alien Swarm with the sound blasting out of a 5.1 setup and that is some mean feat!

However, out of all the GTX 460 cards, only the Palit uses the old style cooler mounting holes. Based around a 53mm square arrangement which got me thinking, how about aftermarket cooling! Given that the card is a good overclocker and I got it cheap to boot I've decided on a little modification of my own. Can sort out memory and VRM heatsinks whilst I'm at it!

I'll see about pictures if anyone is interested :thumb:

Oh, also in retrospect I would have bought a Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB opposed to the Palit. Reviews have all been top notch :thumb:

4. mikezero

mikezero What's a Dremel?

I ordered two EVGA 1GB SC GTX460 EE from Scan and I am suffering the same problem.

I can hear the turbine at idle - 40%, which is distracting when one is surfing the web.

GPU temps reach 83c and 78c with fan at 65% under load with no OC.

These cards are fast and a 10 year warranty is a bonus but unfortunately the fan noise is a distraction.

I'm close to RMA-ing them back to Scan and getting two Gigabyte 1GB OC cards. I'm just wary of case temps with the Gigabyte cards even though I do have a Tri-Sli mobo and the cards are a good two slots away from each other.

5. mikezero

I ordered two EVGA 1GB SC GTX460 EE from Scan and I am suffering the same problem.

I can hear the turbine at idle - 40%, which is distracting when one is surfing the web.

GPU temps reach 83c and 78c with fan at 65% under load with no OC.

These cards are fast and a 10 year warranty is a bonus but unfortunately the fan noise is a distraction.

I'm close to RMA-ing them back to Scan and getting two Gigabyte 1GB OC cards. I'm just wary of case temps with the Gigabyte cards even though I do have a Tri-Sli mobo and the cards are a good two slots away from each other.

6. mikezero

It is the EE model, I have two of them here ordered from Scan.

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

If the noise of the fans bug you now it won't get any better! Best explain the situation to SCAN and get those Gigabyte cards instead. Airflow in a case can be a cheap fix anyway. Just requires the strategic placement of a good fan or two with cable ties ;)

8. mkb

mkb Minimodder

Update: SCAN have tested my cards and say that they are as they should be so no fault there. Once I get a refund I'll be making a move for the MSI/Gigabyte cards. I'm leaning towards the MSI as it supposedly provides better cooling and has a MAHOOSIVE heatsink.

9. mikezero

After much testing I've decided to send mine back to Scan. How much was the postage to return both cards mkb?

10. PedroX64

PedroX64 Better dead than Smeg!

Have you flashed the BIOS? It changes the fan profile and made a big difference to my Palit card. I posted links to the relevant websites on another thread in the hardware section.

11. mkb

mkb Minimodder

cost me £8 for 1st class recorded delivery although the package was only insured up to £40 lol. Sent it in the morning and the following day SCAN had received and tested it. Not bad I guess.

12. mikezero

What reason did you give to Scan for their return? Noisy bearings?

13. Chris P

Chris P What's a Dremel?

Just for you information mkb, as Scan delayed my order, and they couldn't tell me when they would receive new stock, I have changed the order to the MSI Cyclone 1GB OC.

I wasn't comfortable with the amount of chatter saying the noise issue was extreme. A slightly lower factory clock, the memory chips are exposed (all though I can fix that myself if required) but sounds like (no pun intended) a lot less hassle.

14. mkb

mkb Minimodder

I was just honest with them, I said that the cards were extremely noisy on idle and it was extremely off putting and I was disappointed with my purchase. Asked them if they could check whether the fans were as the manufacturer intended or were they faulty.

That's it really. They were understanding and I asked if I could purchase the same card from a different manufacturer. They agreed :)

15. mkb

mkb Minimodder

I think my plan is to get the MSI too. Seeing as my cards are alongside each other, this type of heatsink may benefit.

16. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

So is the MSI card a lot quieter than the others? I'm looking at purchasing a GTX460 myself and don't really want something noisey.

17. mikezero

18. mkb

mkb Minimodder

idd mikezero as you put it it's a very closely fought contest. The MSI seems a fraction cooler but slightly louder although I take these results with a pinch of salt seeing as the idle and load dBa are almost the same which seems somewhat odd. Nevertheless, it doesnt make choosing a card any easier. The biggest advantage I see with the MSI is the smaller footprint, not having a shroud and the enormous heatsink. They are both the same price effectively so we can't separate them there.

19. mikezero

I see Scan have now bumped up the price of the MSI Cyclone to £187 from £180. :(

Tonight I've noticed my Tagan 700W PSU screeches when it's rendering the Unigine benchmark which indicates that is struggling to supply power to the two GTX460s.

I've therefore decided to go down the GTX480 route or wait to see what the GTX485 is like when it is released in September.

20. mkb

mkb Minimodder

bah thats unfortunate. They are decreasing the price of the more unpopular cards and increasing the best ones, as you would expect i guess. Just means I'm more likely to go with another retailer :(