Networks Unable to put laptop onto home network

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Alexzandernov, 18 Aug 2010.

1. Alexzandernov

Alexzandernov What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I've been having a problem with my girlfriend's laptop trying to connect it to my home network.

My home network consists of a desktop running windows 7 and my own laptop running XP SP2. It's all set up through a virgin media supplied D-Link DIR615 router. The desktop is wired to the router and the laptop connects via wireless. Both can see each other and connect to each other for file sharing - no problems there.

When I try to connect my girlfriends laptop (also running xp SP2) it wont have any of it - it connects to the internet via wireless fine but I can't get file and printer sharing to work. I have made sure that I have the same user account and login details on all 3 machines, I have double checked the names of all 3 computers and made sure they are all on the same workgroup.

I can "see" my girlfriends computer from my laptop (in network connections) but can't connect to it (it comes up with network path not found). I can ping it from my laptop but occasionally it does drop 1 out of the 4 packets. I've tried tracert and that completes fine. However I can't ping the other way from my girlfriend's laptop to mine - it says can't find the name and when I try with the IP address of my laptop it just times out.

Any ideas? This has been driving me crazy for the past few days. I hope I've provided enough info for someone to point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Firewall problem on her machine.

What firewall/anti-virus crap is she running?

thehippoz likes this.
  4. Alexzandernov

Firewall/antivirus is Kaspersky.

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

6. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

yep, the problem its the firewall/antivirus from her laptop

7. Alexzandernov

Cheers - finally managed to get some time to look at this and it was her firewall. Changed the network from Public to Local in Kaspersky and all is working fine!