1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking I5 overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by =WBG=cpt_custard, 15 Sep 2010.

1. =WBG=cpt_custard

=WBG=cpt_custard ferret

Im new to this i5 overclocking etc so I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers please.

My two questions are

What are the safe temps etc...ie under load.

How do i manually set the CPU vCore ( on my old Asus P5Q-E there was a setting in the bios called cpu voltage which I could just key in ).

By setting the multiplier to 21 and raise the BLK and leaving the almost everythign else on Auto I have managed to hit 4.2Ghz ( which gave me a rather big jump from my old custom pc score of 1280 to 2093 ) but it looks like my temps are quite high to me. If I manage to find where to adjust the CPU vCore what should I aim for to keep the oc around 4.0Ghz but to also keep the temps down to more acceptable limits..

[​IMG]

All help would be gratefull appreciated.

2. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Temp wise under stress you probably wouldn't want to go over 75-80c. In real world situations your highest temps are likely to be a good bit lower but it depends on exactly what you plan on doing with your CPU, gaming probably wouldn't see you over 65c.

CPU voltage should be listed under 'CPU voltage Mode' in your BIOS, change that to manual then you can edit the core voltage. 1.392v is probably a little high for your setup, I just noticed that the Prime95 run has only just started running at the time of the screenshot, what are your temps after running it for 15mins or so? Do you know what your VTT voltage is at all?

Last edited: 15 Sep 2010
  3. =WBG=cpt_custard

=WBG=cpt_custard ferret

TBH ive no idea with out looking.....on my next reboot ill see if i can find it

4. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

I think it's under IMC voltage on Asus boards.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

+1

I'd probably be a bit more generous with the temperatures. After a 24 hour stress test my highest temperature for one core was 85C, which I was perfectly happy with (and this is in a small, stuffy room). Some people are happy to run at 90C and I think the actual thermal limit is 106C.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

long term above 80c isnt great for your board or chip

and 1.39 vcore is high

and he only run the test for 1minute

run it for 1hr and if it stays below 90c across the board id be surprised. You make no mension of case or cooling you are using. Personally 80c is about the limits id go 90c and above is risky long term and if you run prime for more than 1minute you will hit 90c +

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

4.2GHz is a pretty awesome OC though :)

8. =WBG=cpt_custard

=WBG=cpt_custard ferret

I have had it semi stable at 4.46GHz but the temps went crazy so i soon backed off. Using the Asus TurboV ( yes i know its cheating a little ) ive managed to knock it down to 1.36875v which CPUid is now reporting at 1.36v.

Im running it in the coolermaster Cosmos S case with the H50 cooler and ive set the cooling in the following way.

1 x 120mm Fan on front drawing air in over HDD
    1 x 200mm Fan on side intaking air
    2 x 120mm Fan in roof of case extracting air
    1 x 120mm Fan intaking air from rear of the case over the radiator

Im tempted to stick in another fan on the radiator so its in a push pull config.

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Do it! That should bag you another 3C lower or so. Better yet, buy some really good fans (e.g. Gentle Typhoons) and that'll get temps even lower.

10. =WBG=cpt_custard

=WBG=cpt_custard ferret

right im getting the shopping list out :)

ive adjusted the vCore in the the bios and CPU-z is reporting it at 1.352v which seems a little better.

[​IMG]

Also would removing the fan grill benefit airflow, IE if I took a hole saw and completly removed the standard mesh that sits in front of the fan at the rear

[​IMG]

So effectivly the would be a 120mm hole so right in front the rear fan and above the exhaust fans also

[​IMG]