Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Guest-56605, 27 Aug 2010.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I do live in the uk - we are made of tough stuff, covered in a layer of fat.

It is cold at the moment though nearly put the heating on today - but usual ambient in height of summer would be 20ish? Pity I added the EK after the summer - will have to watch temps next year!

2. Matticus

Matticus ...

I also live in that same UK weather. I have to say, even on water, anything sub 20/25c I am a little skeptical about the accuracy, the further you get from the tjmax the less accurate the reading of most temp probes.

From my own experience I would say an average room temperature is somewhere between 18-25c depending on the time of year. A typical comfortable room would be 21-23c depending on personal preference.

With a good watercooling setup you can get the water temperature less than 5c higher than the ambient room temp, but then the core is usually a bit higher than the water. So I would usually estimate that the core temp with a decent setup something like ambient + 5/6c.

But then it takes quite a lot of heat to make a huge difference to temperatures in watercooling, so even if the idle temps are less than 5 degrees off a high end air cooler. You may only see another 10c under full load. Which in a 21c room could put your full load temps as low as mid 30s.

My core2duo e8200 would not read any temps below 44, but then it never went higher either when under water. So I just had to assume it was somewhere between ambient and 44c lol.

Basically I am not trying to say you are wrong, only that you cannot go sub ambient on regular water/air coolers*, and a room less than 16 would be bloody cold lol.

*I have toyed with the idea of something like those flexy tumble dryer tubes acting as an intake (filtered of course) when its chilly outside, so technically your PC could for a short while be cooler than your room, but only until your room cooled down.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

The problem with piping in air that cold would be condensation build up and anything wet in a PC is not good. TEC coolers and stuff like that are set to drop to about 11 degree's at the lowest even though they are capable of going to sub zero.

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

Condensation is pretty much the only thing stopping me from doing it, that and the fact I would have to open my window a bit more to allow for the tubing.

I put in my Megahalems today and I am impressed, with a sharkoon silent eagle running at 400rpm its idling at around 30 while on the net etc, and doesn't even hit 50 under full load and the fan speed autos to 700rpm. So I am happy enough with those.

It's a good job 23RO_UK is a top bloke, I am not sure everyone would take kindly to this serious off topic-ness.

5. bulldogjeff

It's a good job 23RO_UK is a top bloke, I am not sure everyone would take kindly to this serious off topic-ness.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

...and fans and Rolls Royce engines and Matrix Sentinels...:D

7. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I just added two Coolermaster Thermal Sensor cables to the connectors on my mobo - positioned one at the front bottom of the case, poking out towards the floor from the desk, and one coming out the back pointing up towards the ceiling.

Front: 20c
    Rear: 22c
    Core: 17c

So it proves the theory that the core temps are out!

8. bulldogjeff

You flash git!! Then you're going to bench mark it and show off aren't you.:D

9. Matticus

Matticus ...

Yay they have arrived! Get them fitted and pics up asap :thumb:

10. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I just ordered the exact same card - although only one - as my 5770 would not take an EK block.

Should be here on Monday too with the block!

p.s. I ordered it last night before even seeing you had them, it was the only card I could find that EK confirmed their block would fit.

11. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Race ya... lol

12. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Plus you have two ;)

I plan to build my loop Monday, all things going well.

Have you got your side panel yet (sorry you may have mentioned this before, but I will have missed it on one of my late night reading marathons!).

13. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I fitted some Akasa Paxmate around the inside where you can't see as my last panel was heavily sound deadened.

The panel is much better than I thought it would look, I was worried about the fan mount, shame there wasn't one with just a plain panel.

Look forward to seeing your update on Tuesday :)

14. bulldogjeff

There is a windowed option but it's got a fan grill in it.

There ain't gona be much room in there once the twins arrive mate.

I think I might have to order a set of twins in the not so distant future, having no joy getting a water block for my card.

15. bulldogjeff

WOW , shinny, me like the shinny.

16. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

SNAP!

Same case, same cards, same, CPU blocks, same GPU blocks, just AMD vs Intel! And my silent Zalman cooling vs full on super cooling, + twice the GPUs. Hmmm I wonder who would win a benching test - I will hide now! :lol:

17. iceboi714

iceboi714 What's a Dremel?

my eyes!!!! my eyes!!!

18. bulldogjeff

Indeed, pull your finger out Paul...you know the rules mate: No sleeping, no eating, no drinking, you may have a toilet break once a day and no going any where near the missus...YOUR IN TRAINING!...Any one else care to add something I've missed please feel free to chip in.:dremel:

19. Remmes

Remmes Be One With Your Mod

what? a toilet break?!?! don't think so... 2 plastic bottles would do, both having a small hole drilled at the top to prevent compressed air..:hehe::hehe::p

bulldogjeff likes this.
  20. bulldogjeff

Good shout Remmes + rep for that one mate :thumb: