Memory Is my hard drive faulty then?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by omar, 29 Sep 2010.

1. omar

omar What's a Dremel?

Hi there, I used to be a member on the old forums of... one second, I honestly forgot the magazines name...

Oh yes custompc. Great place. Anyway...

Here's my problem.

I was using my computer and randomly it froze.

Then I had to turn it off and turn it back on.

The boot screen was taking longer then usual, then came up an error something like:

"Hard Disk Not Detected." I went back into the bios to find that my harddrive was not connected. It's on a sata connection. So what I did was change it over to another sata port... Then, on each time the pc boots up I get this message saying something like:

"Adapter 1, Hard disk not detected" Then it switches over to my sata and loads.

But the question is why the hell did my pc freeze? I didn't install anything new, or even add new hardware. It just randomly out of the blue froze and this error came up!

So then I was a bit worried and thought I'd do some smart scans for my pc.

Here are the reports but from what I Can see I don't see anything wrong except the yellow sign.

Could some one please give me some advice?

[​IMG]

2. Mongwopman

Mongwopman King Ding-a-ling!

a quick google search gave me this, not sure how accurate it is though :

3. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

+1

ive recently had a problem with a hard drive not being detected and it turned out to be a faulty psu, faulty psu's can also cause random lock-up and start up/shut down problems as-well, what p[su have you got and how old is it?

4. omar

omar What's a Dremel?

I got a Cooler Master Real Power Pro M700...

Its never had any problems. even on overclocks.

so your telling me that your psu has caused the smart errors on ur hdd :S?

5. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

I have a TPower I45 that posts the 'no hard drive found' just before it boots up, every single time.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i dont think its a major fault, just that as time goes by the size of the harddrive after reformatting, is going to get smaller and smaller, as there is now no headroom for faulty sectors to be replaced

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

run seatools for DOS from bootable CD

if it fails your HDD is buggered and you need a new one or you risk losing data.

if it passes should be ok and maybe the probelm is elsewhere

8. omar

omar What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 2 Oct 2010
  9. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

Unfortunately condition of your hd is quite bad.

S.M.A.R.T.:
    Reallocated sector count: 34h = 52 (+ another 8 from your scan - red 8 > 500ms access time - it's just a matter of time)

There are 99 of reserved/hidden sectors on your hd which are used to remapping.

wikipedia: "... Reallocated Sectors Count: Count of reallocated sectors. When the hard drive finds a read/write/verification error, it marks this sector as "reallocated" and transfers data to a special reserved area (spare area). This process is also known as remapping, and "reallocated" sectors are called remaps. Unfortunately, on modern operating systems, such as Windows XP and onwards, "bad blocks" cannot be found while testing the surface, as this feature was removed. However, 3rd-party applications such as "HD Tune" can reveal bad sectors across the entire surface, even on partitions that are hidden. Also, as the number of reallocated sectors increases, the read/write speed tends to decrease, unless the bad sectors are manually repositioned to a hidden partition, although the boot sector is always at the start of the disk, so if damage is in that area, the drive is only useful as a redundant backup drive. The raw value normally represents a count of the number of bad sectors that have been found and remapped. Thus, the higher the attribute value, the more sectors the drive has had to reallocate..."

Threshold (just to simplify) is an acceptable value, everything above = RMA

"... i realised the error thing went up to 250 something ..." if they are Reallocated Sectors Count it means there are no more reserved sectors for remapping and bad sectors should start to appear.