Cooling Build help needed

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by hirezo, 1 Oct 2010.

1. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

i need help with a build, i put together my friends rig today and everything went through ok, the only problem i had was after it turned on it said that the CPU temperature was too high, im sure i put on enough thermal paste and im sure i didnt put too much. how and what can i do to fix this issue?

btw, the cpu, hsf and motherboard are as follows:

AMD athlon phenomII x2 555 3.2ghz black edition

artic cooling:freezer pro 7 rev 2

asus m4a785td-v evo

thanks in advance

-Rezo

2. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

check to see if hsf is installed properly and making full contact with cpu. Take hsf off the cpu and verify that you did not use too much TIM and that it's spread evenly on the cpu. Check fan speed on the HSF.

What case? Good airflow coming in? If there is bad ariflow coming in, the fan will just push warm air through the HS and won't do much good.

3. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

thanks seb, the hsf is definitely working as its pulling the air through and i feel the metal grills heating up. the case isnt a high end one, its made by a company called casecom. i think the issue is with the thermal paste. we used the paste that came with the fan, i think it was called antec formula which i believe to be the problem, do you think if i get artic silver it will resolve this problem?

thanks again.

4. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

It shouldn't, as the stuff that comes with it is usually good enough NOT to overheat the CPU. Regardless, I'd recommend getting some Arctic Silver and reapplying it; it's better quality and the reapplication should ensure it's all done properly.

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

The Antec stuff ok, I've used it and had no problems with it. What temps are you getting? When applying the TIM a blob the size of a small pea is plenty and then spread evenly, also make sure when you tighten down the cooler , do i in stages on opposite sides rather than just cranking down each corner so it goes down nice and evenly.

6. seanbean

seanbean Certa Cito

Max Temp. 70o Celsius. Nominal Voltage. 0.850-1.425V. Max TDP. 80 Watts .

7. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

hey guys, the temperature reading in the bios was 127oC.

We went into the YoYoTek today and they seem to believe that it might actually be the that the hsf is not touching the cpu properly, so tonight we're gonna apply artic silver 5 and also try out the stock fan.

fingers crossed!

8. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

Does sound like the hsf isn't fitted properly.

The heatsink came with Artic cooling's MX-2 compound pre applied - this shouldn't have been touched!

MX2 is better (MX-3 better still) than Arctic silver 5 (or 3) which is in turn much better than the 99p sachets of junk.

Bit-Tech's How to apply TIM

Make sure the AMD lugs are attached to the cooler properly as describe in the install manual on Arctic's website.

9. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

oh crap lol, i didnt know that...i always rub off the stuff that comes pre-applied thinking its just generic thermal compound :S.

however, we applied arctic silver 5 and on the stock fan and had the same issues....am i wrong thinking the problem is the cpu itself??

10. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

can you take a photo of the hsf in situe? in detail the retention clips?

Its unlikely to be the CPU.