Gaming Fallout: New Vegas Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 19 Oct 2010.

1. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I know, that's why I want an updated one (I'm assuming that the old one won't work very reliably with new textures in NV)

2. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Don't worry, just wait for the many mods and HD texture packs to start appearing. :)

Oblivion with HD texture mods, Darnified UI and 8AA 16AF still looks amazing.

3. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to it :)

RE the graphics and other niggles, mods should take care of most of that quite quickly

though a mini rant on the graphics side:
    Is it really too hard for them to create high res textures when making the game and downsample them for the consoles, rather than 'everyone gets horrible low-res textures and we'll rely on modders to remake them for the PC'? :grr:

4. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I tried to give Fallout 3 a real chance, I picked up a steam copy of the GOYE that had all the DLC packs before Vegas and it was just such a slow game filled with bugs, wonky AI and clunky mouse and keyboard controls. I could see how this sorta setting and style of gameplay can suck people in for hours on end but if I had a choice id rather play through any of the 3 STALKER games or even Oblivion before I returned to the Fallout series. Maybe if a Fallout 4 can fix some of these issues and make a more PC minded type of game in regards to the graphics, controls and overall quality of more recent games I'd pick up a copy.

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Why would they want to spend more money to add extra stuff in for 1 platform? Clearly they built this with as broad a spectrum as possible in mind, and the PC version is just added in there for extra revenue and to appease fans. At least they did a seemingly decent job at not making the PC version suffer from horrible performance problems and glitches.

6. jrr

jrr What's a Dremel?

I had to play fallout 3 in windowed mode or it would crash all the time. Also there was a major lag when you bring up VATS.. like a second or so before it would come up. If the game's engine hasn't been noticeably improved, count me out.

Also I get that it's a post-apocalyptic wasteland, but the games could really use some color here and there.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Same here, I loved FO3 a ton and put way too many hours into playing it. Hopefully I get the same enjoyment out of FONV

BTW can anyone find the collectors edition for PC. I found it for PS3 and Xbox but not for PC which is sad because I want to play it now but have to wait until I find the collectors edition

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-V..._6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1287512898&sr=1-6

;)

The_Beast likes this.
  9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

10. FatMikel

FatMikel Statistically not that fat...

I'm pretty sure Fallout: New Vegas was never ever supposed to be Fallout 4.

11. sharpethunder

sharpethunder Minimodder

I Hated fallout 3 its slow and boring as hell i am going to wait until the new witcher 2 is out for my rpg

12. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

best buy (at least the one by me in NY) got a ton of copies, about 2000

edit- didn't notice you wanted the collectors edition, not sure how your in-store availability will be on that

Last edited: 19 Oct 2010
  13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Heh

It's not the graphics that put me off, it's the genre as a whole. I'm definitely not bashing Fallout itself

14. cyrilthefish

Due to some sneakyness (using a proxy to trick steam into thinking i'm in the US) i've played a little of the game now.

Graphically: absolutely zero change to fallout3 (actually a downgrade as my fallout 3 has a high-res texture pack installed)
    Though on the good side, no crashes or glitches of any kind. plus with me being stuck on my old 2900XT, it still runs at a decent framerate on high detail at 1920x1200 :D

Story: not played much, but the starting section is much better and shorter than the FO3 one, very good if you'll end up replaying the game on a new character.

All in all, does feel like an immense add-on pack for FO3 so far, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion as i liked the first game. :thumb:

15. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

The problem I always felt was killing the visuals in the Oblivion style games is not the textures but the characters, they are generally very badly animated and in general don't feel like they fit into the game world. The benchmark for characters to fit into the game world was set by GTA 4 and it's very disappointing that so very few games are even trying to match that level of immersion let alone surpass it.

16. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I'll be getting this as soon as I get a job, and seeing as I'm pretty much handing out over 9000 CV's tomorrow I'll hopefully hear back. Really want to play this game. Never completed the first (storyline) due to a corrupt save :( But I loved it so much!

17. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Anyone using an NVIDIA card? I'm reading about horrible frame rate issues from some users.

18. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

Just a little aside if I may be so bold. I only played fo3 for a bit before I lost interest (i have a pitiful attention span) and stopped but a friend was going on about how much he loved it and how he couldn't wait for new vegas so I've started again. There has been much talk of mods and I've had a look around but there are so many of them. So what are the essentials? I will add that high res texture packs are pointless due to my aging yet venerable machine.

Thanks chaps. Thus ends the derailment

19. cyrilthefish

There is a huge range of mods, but i'd highly reccomemd the two i posted here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2453297&postcount=24
    (triage + amplified cripple effects mods), then browse on http://www.fallout3nexus.com/ if you wish to try more... :)

20. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

I personally don't think the graphics look bad at all! But I do have 1 question, does it have to be activated on steam? I've heard that people have pre-ordered it on Steam, so just wondered if the DVD version also has to be activated/locked to an account on Steam (i'm guessing yes!?) but I don't know, I've got the collectors edition coming on Friday anyway (hopefully) so will find out then if no one actually knows yet.

Tags: Add Tags