Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. October

October Mariachi Style

Finally saw The Social Network in it's entirety, easily 9/10.

Saw bits and pieces of Jackboots on Whitehall tonight, looks like a British WWII Team America, which can only mean it's better, obviously :lol:

2. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Machete: 8/10 -- Ridiculously over the top action nonsense. I loved it. Don't engage your brain, though, it's not that sort of film at all.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the world: 5/10 -- Being a self professed geek I tried really hard to like this film, but I just couldn't manage it. Fight scenes were pretty well executed eye candy and I liked the addition of more obscure game sound effects but I didn't find the film particularly funny.

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Saw SAW3D, and it was, well... Erm, a bit of a let down, as in the 3D was. Film I'd give a 7/10, 3D? Only a 5/10, so combining tem, it's a 6/10. The only bits of 3D were a few drops of blood when someone died.. wasn't worth the £8.50 I payed.

4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Well my Friends went and made me go see Resident Evil Afterlife and I had never watched 1 through 3. I was able to follow but told myself I would watch the first free. Went and picked them up and watched the first 3 over yesterday and today and all in all it wasn't bad but nothing amazing either. I found 3 the most entertaining of them all.

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Saw 'Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain' last night. Great film.

6. nemo

nemo Foregone Destruction

If you like 'Amelie', you'll like 'Delicatessen'. By one of the same guys who did Amelie, it's darker & funnier imo

7. stonedsurd

I already have "A Very Long Engagement" on it's way to me. Will add this to the list. thanks for the suggestion. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Nov 2010
  8. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Punisher - War Zone

7/10 -

Up side - Good popcorn action flick, a no brainer, but never tried to be in the first place.

Down side - found acting to be heavy on the histrionics one minute, then catatonic the next.

9. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Jackass 3D.

8/10

£10 is rather expensive, and they didnt really make the most of the 3D capability- best examples being at the very beginning & end of the film, not that much in the middle. Overall though it was excellent film with some very imaginative stunts/ skits and good use of slow-motion cameras ( poo volcano is just.... ). I do believe I'll be buying the DVD :)

10. stonedsurd

Saw 'A Very Long Engagement' a few days ago, thought it was wonderful. The French have a real knack for films.

Finally got around to watching 'Pirate Radio' (I believe it's called 'The Boat That Rocked') in the UK. Flaming brilliant movie. I was jumping up and down through half of it. Also helps that that is my favorite era of music.

11. October

October Mariachi Style

You should watch Micmacs :thumb:

Have also seen Jackass 3, personally think it might be my favourite of the three. Did the usual sequel trick of moar bigger but for them it makes perfect sense. Sometimes it's the little things that make it, Preston and the ball, baseball practise etc... Think I might have to go again before it's finished... £10 is very expensive indeed, it's £6.80 for 3D in my place. Free for me ofc :D

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (and the WTF of the week)

had no clue what it's all about, so the first part was superbly strange. Towards the end it started repeating itself too much for my liking. Still, 7/10 for being somewhat original.

Also I just can't stay serious when Michael Cera is on the screen. I've only seen him on Arrested Development, Superbad and now this and I don't think I keep wondering how it would be to suddenly see him not act like a 'tard :)

13. Timsu

Timsu What's a Dremel?

Robin Hood (2010)

6/10

boring...

14. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

ignoring the obvious 'message', its a bloody great film- Cameron is an awesome director and the effects are immense.

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

In total agreement. Mucho <3 for the comp even though I didn't thank you at the time :thumb:

Spoken as someone who does not like that sort of story, or someone who does not appreciate incredible directing? I thought it was fantastic. Gave it an 8/10 at the time.

Totally agree. I wish I'd seen it in 3D on the big screen at the time though :/ I was just far too busy back then and couldn't squeeze it in.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Having seen both versions at the cinema I can promise that the 3D version was worse for every part except the first blast through the Unobtainium mountains. Something about the effect spoilt the top-notch picture, even with polarised jiggery.

17. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

What?! :eeek: .........

*Gets his coat and hat

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

RED - 8/10 - Entertaining plot and several big celebrities propel this entertaining, if not the most thought-provoking, action flick. Decent fun film, worth a watch any day.

The Trench - 7/10 - Interesting film indeed. Great plot and some wonderful acting combine to make a pretty excellent flick. The last scene is a little cheesey, but it doesn't spoil anything.

Shallow Grave - 9/10 - Classic film, top performances from all the main characters. Must-watch stuff imo.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2010
  19. October

October Mariachi Style

Blasphemy! I actually thought the 3D was at its best when he wasn't doing the big swoopy shots. Personally, Jake waking up from transportation and the camera being right beside his nose was an awesome show-off of what 3D can really do. Same for when he was talking to the two "recruiters". Imagine if they'd shot Buried like that...

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Wait, right, I'm 10 minutes in so forgive the early observation but:

So Scott Pilgrim has a hot 17 y/o Asian gf (that I would have given up organs to have at 21, but hey, I have it at 27! NINJA EDIT: OMFG SHE'S NOT 17! She's 31 going on 25 hawt) who is basically asking for sexy time and to be "shown the world", and will likely have some seriously rich parents (ca-****ing-ching), but he then decides he fancies some pink haired moody bitch just by looking at her in the library?

You FAIL AT LIFE MICHAEL CERA sorry, SCOTT!

Essential lesson for you: the hot Asian babe wins every ****ing time. You know she's gonna look cute for at least another 15-20 years, plus she'll probably end up a doctor and also has the rich parents! It's a no brainer life investment opportunity!

EDIT: Emily Wong is 25 so I feel less bad about fancying her now. It was surprisingly addictive to watch, I'd give it 8/10!